Chapter 6

D A Z Z L E

Chapter Six

Cameron

I looked at the clock and sighed for the nth time since Wyatt is late again. Maybe he’s in the water because I asked his daughter and she just said that her daddy is swimming.

“Teacher, Miko is hungry.” Sabi sa akin ng cute na batang maliit. Nakahawak pa ang dalawang kamay sa tiyan.

“Oh, you. Want some cookies?”

“Miko wants rice. I’m very hungry teacher.” There it is again, her soulful eyes and pouty lips.

I sighed. As if someone can say “no” to that.

“Darling, where did you learn that?” I asked and copied her expression.

“Daddy.” She answered.

“Your daddy taught you that?”

“Yes. Daddy’s eyes are like this and his lips like this when Daddy wants me to eat, and I don’t want to.”

Oh this baby, really … and I kind of want to see Wyatt with the same expression as his little girl.

“Alright, let’s text your Dad first then we will go Mrs. Yu’s house to inform her that I’ll be taking you. Doon na muna tayo sa bahay ni Teacher Cameron maghihintay kay Daddy mo, okay?”

“’Kay.”

Dapat alam ni Mrs. Yu, mahirap na dahil baka kasuhan na ako talaga ng kidnapping ni Mr. Myers.

-

I bought our food from Wok -in and it turns out that Umiko likes dumplings and the orange chicken. Nang makakain kami ay magbukas ako ng TV at namili ng palabas na angkop sa edad ni Umiko, habang naupo siya sa kandungan ko at sumandal sa dibdib ko.

We watched a show about the alphabet and numbers. After the first two songs, I felt Umiko getting heavier. Nakapikit na ang mga mata niya at bahagyang nakaawang ang mapupulang labi. Iniharap ko siya sa akin upang mas maging komportable. Then I tapped her back and combed her curly hair lightly with my fingers as I sing her a lullaby.

Kids these age are the cutest. They’re innocent, and beautiful, and very curious. I found myself smiling and hugging Umiko tighter.

-

Dahil nakabukas naman ang front door at makabukas ay nakita ko ang truck ni Wyatt na pumarada sa harap ng bahay. Napangiti ako dahil mahigit dalawang oras na naman siyang late.

Nang sumilip siya sa may pinto ay ngumiti na ako sa kanya. I mouthed “Come in”.

“Hey, sorry I’m late again.” He said quietly.

“It’s okay. I took her here, nagugutom daw siya.” I answered.

Nagbuntong hininga siya at napailing habang nakatingin sa anak niyang nasa kandungan ko.

“Sorry to bother you.” Apologetic na sabi niya. I shook my head and smiled.

“Okay lang talaga. She’s sweet and adorable, tsaka hindi naman pati siya maligalig.”