Chapter 66 - Pieces

Roger blinked and it was a day away. They had headed back to study, and the lack of anything out of the ordinary seemed to cause his mind to meld the time together. It began to do so with the school days, as well.

What was once the slow, painful pace of class for him now seemed to be a blur that he could not quite focus on? Everything in those weekdays began to fly by, and even if he wanted to hold onto them, they merely slipped out of his grasp.

The football team had been training more and more. The games were coming up, he was told. He saw less of the wolf, but they still had their time after the training to do homework and study. Unfortunately, the material was getting a little bit more difficult for the wolf, so it took all of the fox's time to help him with it.

He wanted to take the wolf's advice and hang out with his friends, but he could not do so. It was not that he did not want to see them, for he did like them, but there were time constraints. He thought that perhaps they could skip the studying for but a day, but he knew it was only detrimental to the wolf.

However, there was the time between when the classes were over and when the wolf would be released from practice. Perhaps then, he thought.

The weekend came too quickly for him to do such a thing, though.

Roger had asked his parents if it would be acceptable to join the wolf's family on their day of celebration for the next week, and they informed him that they saw no reason against it. If anything, Roger felt, it seemed as if they were glad that they, themselves, could have some time alone.

It was also agreed upon that the wolf and fox would sleep in their respective homes this weekend, but would visit to study. Hunter seemed a bit sad about the arrangement, but he conceded. Roger merely felt that after their conversations the past weekend, things were becoming a bit awkward, and he needed a bit of time to collect himself.

It was Friday, and they had gathered at his house. They were already quickly working through the homework, but Roger made sure to slow it down enough that the wolf could understand the material.

It felt as if in no time at all, the wolf had arrived and gone. Now the fox sat in his room, alone.

He laid down on his back on his bed, staring at the ceiling. It was time for a breather and yet it felt as if he could not breathe. He took a deep breath, held it, and then let it out.

He could smell the wolf on his sheets, in his room, on his clothes and self. He seemed to be omnipresent, but with the more recent proximity, it made sense. It was calming, the scent, and at the same time exciting.

There was no one around, so he dealt with it as he saw fit. It was a feeling he was getting used to, as well as a taste.

He questioned just what he was becoming if this was to be commonplace. He cast off the implications and turned to his side. He felt lethargic, and perhaps a bit numb.

Saturday came just as quickly as the days had passed. Another blink of the eye and there was the wolf. Roger was alarmed for a moment, and he was asked about what was wrong. He felt as if his memories were deceiving him as if they were purposefully failing to be retained.

Was it so bad? he wondered to himself. He was lucid when Hunter was around, and that was fine, so long as his body did as it was supposed to do. However, he thought, what if Hunter was no longer around?

A week later from the small epiphany that he now sat with the same feelings, but no reaction to it. He did not burst out in tears this time, instead, he had managed to hide it, and stared at the ground. When spoken to, he smiled and answered, but it was always on his mind.

Study, study, study. It was all they did, for the tests were on their approach. What better way to productively use their time?

He sighed. He wished they could be resting, as they had done before, and perhaps he could lay next to the wolf and be held. It was a feeling he was beginning to yearn for. It made him feel safe and warm. He supposed at least sitting next to the wolf was acceptable.

Another blink and it was gone.

Roger and Hunter now sat at a restaurant. He vaguely remembered walking there, and he could recollect the reasons they had for being there. It was their lunchtime. It was their time to rest, but it was also a designated time for them to meet with the vixen and her friends. She had told the wolf, and the wolf had told the fox.

He felt that no good would come of it, at least not for him. As if it were a repeat of the week before, he could only but watch as everyone else spoke around him, him being unable to contribute to their conversations, their interests, their lives. He watched them live, and he was not a part of it. It pained him.

However, Hunter periodically, and frequently, would bring attention back to Roger. He would sometimes nudge the fox, ask what something meant, or perhaps what he thought of a certain another thing. He smiled and wagged, and when the vixen and her friends had left completely, he gave Roger a single-armed hug.

Roger knew that it was obvious. Anyone who paid attention could tell just how he felt, and he knew the wolf did just that. He appreciated it, the effort the wolf had gone through to cheer him up, but he was unsure if it would help. It felt like it did, a little, though.

Blink, blink, blink. Days were passing by. Why was time going so quickly now?

A test came before the week was over. Hundred per cent, that was his test score. The wolf's, however, was a low C, which in comparison to previous scores, was an outstanding improvement, as he made mention of. Hunter was happy with it. He hoped the teachers would be.

Roger wondered if it would be enough for him to stay on the team. He figured they would find out.

And yet, there was the weekend, right around the corner. It almost felt as if he could see it. He felt it was absurd.

There was a fog, a haze as it were. He was seeing through it, but he did not see a clear picture. Only pieces.

He blinked again.