Chapter 137 - Results

School finally ended, as Roger had been waiting for. The students created a pile near the door, all trying to leave at the same time, as was the norm. The fox sat in his seat, waiting for them to clear out. He stared at his phone, browsed through his old messages, as there were not any new ones.

When the students finally cleared out, he stood up and grabbed his bag. He said his goodbye to the teacher, who acknowledged him with a grunt. He left the classroom. His goal now was to find the wolf.

He checked the locker room, which was where he was used to finding him, as the last class of the day was the gym for the wolf. It coincided with his football practice when he had it, so it was just convenient that way.

Unfortunately, he did not find the wolf there, nor on the field where he was sometimes left behind, putting away equipment or trying to get by all of his adoring fans.

Roger checked his other classrooms, at least the ones that he knew about. He only knew of half of the wolf's classes and where they were located, which did not help much now. He had his math class, and then his history class to check.

He was not at either of them. Roger grew panicked and a bit frantic as he wandered about the school. He asked the teachers if they had seen him, but they told him that they did not, at least not after school.

The fox walked toward where they would usually exit the school, and then he spotted the wolf, who looked like he had just been sitting against the fence. Roger ran up to him and while huffing, asked, "Have you been there this whole time?"

Hunter noticed his approach and had been waving his tail with a smile on his face while the fox approached. He nodded to the question. "Just been waiting for you," the wolf said.

The fox stood for a moment to catch his breath. He then asked, "Where were you at lunch?"

Hunter thought for a moment and then said, "Oh, I was talking to the coach. He didn't look too happy, but he said that he expected me to be on the team next year."

He stood up and stretched out his legs. "Are you ready to go?" the wolf asked.

The fox nodded, and so they went.

-

It was still early in the week and they had a few more days before the weekend would arrive. Roger thought to ask the wolf how he did in his finals, but he knew that the truth would be unveiled shortly after they reached his house. He had agreed to accompany the wolf there once again, but this time he needed to return home. He did not think he could stand another night in the furnace.

The walk did not take long, but in the small amount of time they did have, they discussed what they wanted to do if they did end up going on the ferret's trip. It was next to a beach, so swimming was an option, but so was just lying in the sand. There looked to be rocky caves in the area, so that might have been another thing they could do.

The fox suggested that they headed off by themselves, away from their families, at least once during the trip, if it would happen. He had been seeking time alone with the wolf, and this was a good chance for him to sneak off and show him as much affection as possible, since if anyone did see, most likely they would never see them again if it any of the locals. Their families, on the other hand, might present a problem.

Roger had not received any acknowledgement from his parents yet, but he could not think of any reason why they would deny him the trip. Most likely they were trying to see if they could get time off to accompany him, but knowing their work, that was a difficult task. He would give it another day.

-

When they arrived at the wolf's house, they proceeded with their normal routine of escaping to his room before the younger wolf could seize them for video games. While the fox liked to play them, he was not really focused on such a thing at the moment.

Hunter pulled out a few scraps of paper from his bag, all folded up in different ways. One was torn at the corner, but the piece hung on by a small bit. The fox wondered what had happened to it.

The wolf wagged his tail and went back out of the room into the living room. His mother was sitting down, waiting for something to boil in the kitchen. Hunter moved over to the couches, holding the slips of paper with shaking paws.

Roger watched him offer them up to his mother. The fox knew what they were, and he had already seen one of them. Now he got to see the rest of them, to see how well the wolf had done, and how well he had helped him.

The first one was the one he had already seen. He saw that her reaction was a positive one. Her face brightened and she praised Hunter, and then she looked at the rest of the papers.

Most were in the low to mid-nineties, though one was in the mid-eighties. Roger smiled, though he felt a bit disheartened about the lower grade. He was pretty sure he knew which class it was from.

The wolf said, "The low one is my history class... I just couldn't remember a lot about it."

His mother did not seem to mind. Instead, she was overly pleased with his progress and stood up to hug him.

Roger did not even notice that the younger wolf was not around until the grades no longer distracted him. He looked around, but he was nowhere to be found. He figured that he must have been in his room. The fox shrugged it off.

The wolf's mother promised him ice cream and anything else that he wanted, to which the wolf refused politely. He was just happy to receive so much praise. Roger wondered if that had ever happened to him before, though he was sure that there was at least some praise in his past.

The fox went back to the wolf's room and sat there, waiting. He checked his phone and noticed that he got a message from the lion. He read it, and it was just a status update. Nothing out of the ordinary, per se, but just checking to see how the pair were doing. Roger responded, though hesitant at first. Every time he spoke to the lion via text, there was always a quick string of messages.

He told him about the finals and the results that had come back. There were congratulatory messages in return, and inquiries about his health, to which the fox responded that he was fine. There was silence, which the fox thought was odd.

Hunter walked into the room, wagging his tail. The fox thought it was silly that such a large, intimidating wolf would act in a way He did not get much time to think of such a thing when he was suddenly picked up and squeezed in a sort of bear hug.

He felt his ribs bend. "Okay, okay," he weakly said. "You don't need to kill me over it."

The wolf lessened his grip but did not let go. "Thank you so much," he said, turning side to side slowly.

Roger put his arms around the wolf as best he could, though his upper arms were bound to his side. "It's okay. You just needed a little push, that's all."

Finally, Hunter let the fox back down, and then sat on his bed, a smile on his face.

The fox hoped that he could keep it that way.