Chapter 47 - Wasted Time

It was another day. It felt that way, time and time again, it would just pass along, and it seemed like there was no halt to the ever-accelerating cycle.

There it was, the light that shone through and brightened his room. He was already awake, of course, but he was lazing around this particular morning. His items were prepared, of course. He merely felt like sitting for a bit, resting.

Roger had woken up so many times to the same outlook, that his day would be fuller than necessary with trivial occurrences. Still, there was an even of which he looked forward to and he would make the best of the next few hours. That was the least he could give the day.

He had washed his fur, the orange and brown, the white, the coverings that kept him warm, the soft and the rough. It was clean, as he did not enjoy heading to school feeling any bit dirty or smelly; he figured it would be a bother to those around him, and while he told himself that he did not care what they thought of him in that regard, he really did. Any negative event would lead to negative gossip, and word spread quickly, and words were powerful.

He took his time in his departure. He found a note on the table next to his lunch confirming his suspicions: that the wolf was allowed to stay if he so desired. It was a good chance for his parents to get to know the wolf since they had become so close as friends, and that he was obligated to stay within his company for the current academic year.

It was a short, uneventful walk to the school. In spite of his later-than-usual departure, the school was still barren, as it usually was. He saw that the teacher had already arrived, however, and he managed to walk into the classroom without having to wait. He made a note of it and figured he might have to leave at this time instead of earlier since there seemed to be little point to it.

The skunk took notice of him as he walked in. The classroom was empty otherwise, and he made it known as he requested for the fox to approach. He would have a word with him, he had informed him. The fox wondered what that word might be.

"You, uh... well, I see you've been keeping your word, Mr Colton. That's good. I believe it is, anyway," the skunk said. He spoke nonchalantly as if it were an everyday conversation, and perhaps it was. The fox had no reason to believe that he was the only one that he had spoken to about similar topics.

"Of course. Who do you take me for? I'm not going to leave him dead in the water," the fox retorted.

The skunk nodded. "Yes, of course. I did not mean to, uh, offend. I can... hm, see, through observations for now, that Mr Wright... heh, is doing a bit better. My apologies, the name still... well, gets me, I suppose. Regardless, as you know, we should be having a test coming up... not necessarily in a long while, but of course, there will be some, hm... time. You know all of the material, and I can give you the study guide a bit early, so you can... ascertain, I suppose, where the most effort should be, uh, allocated."

Roger considered it, as the skunk's words were always a bit cryptic. He said, "Thanks, that'd be helpful. When is the test, exactly?"

After a moment's thought, the teacher said, "I want to say in a couple of, uh, weeks. Two, right. A couple is two... Anyhow, either two or perhaps three. If it's three, then it shall be on that Monday. Otherwise, it will be Friday. I hope that's adequate. These students... I hope they do well, but I never hold my breath, so to speak. An unhealthy practice."

The fox shrugged. "I mean, yeah, statistically not everyone should do well if they don't study, but have some faith. Anyway, when could I get that study guide from you? Or could you just tell me what type of stuff will be on it?"

There was a pause, and then the skunk rummaged through his drawers. After he shuffled around a few papers, he sighed and readjusted his glasses. "Well, it seems I may have placed them in my office... and consequently left them there. Not really important, I suppose, since I would have had to make copies anyhow. Here, uh.... come to me after the school day is let out, then. That should give me time to make copies. Officially, I would like to, uh.... distribute them either today or tomorrow, but you have a special, hm, case. Aside from that, I'd like to have a conversation with you, if you would so indulge me after classes have let out. No one is in trouble, of course... of course. Just a chat."

Roger quirked an eyebrow. "Is that proper?"

With a smile, the skunk responded, "I could make it proper, but then it would eliminate its purpose. I'd rather keep things friendly, Mr Colton."

The fox acquiesced and retreated.

-

The class went on as usual. Hour after hour, nothing seemed to change. It felt like another big waiting game. He did not see Mary again that day, and the time he did see Hunter was but fleeting and brief, merely hellos and goodbyes.

He remembered that the wolf would have a practice that day, so the meeting with the teacher would work out well enough. If it took long enough, then the practice would finish. If it took longer than that, the wolf might panic, but he would give him a call or something to let him know.

An hour passed. Another. And another. These were the moments of his life wasted, times that he would never get back, yet it was necessary for progress.

-

He found himself outside the teacher's office. He knocked on the door, tried the handle, and found the door unlocked. He stepped in and situated himself on the provided seat.

The skunk was there, greeted him, and then waited. The fox was about to speak, but the teacher spoke up, saying, "Ah, yes, right, the copies. I forgot them in the classroom, excuse me a moment. I had to give them to other students, you see...."

He left the fox for the moment. Roger looked around the room, inspecting all of the plaques and frames. There was a picture frame in particular that showed the skunk and his family, at least that was what he assumed the other figures in the picture were. There were three smaller ones, one that seemed to be the skunk's wife, and of course the aforementioned individual.

The teacher looked younger. Much younger. He wondered why he had not gotten a more updated picture. Perhaps he had not had enough time. Perhaps it had slipped his mind, or maybe it was just a more pragmatic approach.

Either way, he returned with a stack of papers. He set them down and tidied up his desk idly. After a moment, he handed a packet to the fox, and then said, "Well, since you're here, let's talk."

Roger nodded. "Well, what did you want to talk about?"

The teacher smiled. "About... some developments, so to speak.