Chapter 97 - Consideration

After the initial few days, the storm quelled. It was not a degradation of Roger's feelings for the wolf, nor was it the opposite. Rather, all of the suppressed emotions had been let out for the most part, though of course not all.

He now found himself often merely sitting, smiling, next to the wolf. His face hurt from all of the smiling he had done in the recent few days, but he preferred it to have an affixed frown.

All that he could do now was wait for the weekend while the pleasant ventures they had began to turn to a norm. They did not practice anything of a carnal nature, but what once was merely cuddling turned to kisses and much more intimate hugs.

It was strange to Roger that a touch that he had experienced so often the past few months could be so different now. He had felt the wolf hold him before, but now it was warmer, it felt that there was a deeper connection, though upon thinking of it, he wondered if it was purely a nominal effect.

Day after day he savoured the feel of the wolf's fur in his paws. He smelled the passion and lust, tasted it on his lips. He nipped at paradise and could but nearly touch heaven.

His headaches had gone away for the most part. He had taken to drinking more water, and that seemed to help, though every so often he would feel a bit dizzy. Perhaps he was really getting ill. If that was the case, perhaps having any real intimate moments with the wolf would have to wait until he got better.

Hunter had shown progress in his schoolwork as of late. While he remained just as studious and diligent as before, it seemed he was able to grasp more abstract ideas much more easily than when he started, and his memory was improving on a vast scale. They would see how much he improved the next test he took, but as of now, there was little doubt in the fox's mind that he would do well.

There were always those days, though, when he would have to go to practice. Roger decided to make it a habit to attend since he had to wait for him anyway.

He would hear the gossip from the cheerleaders and peers. Any of the topics that included the wolf, though, did not include him insomuch that they had a sort of relationship outside of an academic one. Others had taken notice of his progress and had discussed whether or not it might be a good idea to get a tutor on the things that they had trouble in.

There had been a few offers, usually of money or not at all, for the fox to tutor another, but he declined. While he did want to help a bit, he said that he did not have time, as tutoring the wolf was intensive and he would have had to have started from the beginning. It was partially true, and that was still not his real reason.

He did not want to lose that time he had together with the wolf, especially now that they had acknowledged their feelings for each other. Especially now, he thought, that they truly were together and that he could, in essence, be honest with the wolf. Hunter had trusted him so much from the beginning, and now, he realized, he trusted the wolf more than he thought he ever would.

In the blink of an eye, the middle of the week had come, and in another blink, it was gone. It felt as if the wolf had become part of him, something inseparable. What he would not give just to be in the wolf's presence, what he would not say, what he would not do.

The elation he felt was unprecedented, and he hoped that it would never depart.

Thursday came and it was just as uneventful as the fox could hope for. No one bothered him in school, which was all that he could really hope for when all he really wanted to do was focus on enjoying his time while he still had the opportunity to do so. Still, though, the wolf had practice, and he sat and watched him play.

He seemed much happier, as well. It was as if there were an extra bounce in his step, a deeper stride, a faster pace. He seemed more motivated. Their mutual friend in the ferret was there, too, and occasionally the fox would say a greeting.

He was beginning to outshine the bright star that was to be displayed. Everything about his performance had improved, and the coach was beginning to second-guess himself, from what Roger had heard. The knowledge of the coach's regret pleased him to an extent, but he was not begrudged.

He found himself awake on a Friday, lying in bed, staring at the ceiling. It was still dark in that room, too early and too cold to rise, too late to fall back asleep. He merely stared. His head was throbbing in the sort of pain that felt like a withdrawal mixed with a migraine.

He bit the bullet and went to grab an aspirin with some water. Perhaps it was allergies, he thought to himself. Spring had started recently, and the pollen was sure to kick up in the air. It made sense with just how he felt. He cast it off.

He had a wolf to look forward to tonight, and he did not want to let his allergies if that was what they were, get in the way of him enjoying his time. Aside from that, he always felt better around him. Perhaps it was just a mix of things.

It was so uncertain, but he was sure it would be gone.

He sat through school lazily, up until the point where he had been called to a meeting by his first teacher. He agreed to do this in lieu of his lunch.

He sat in the skunk's office before the arrival of the aforementioned teacher, though. He had grown accustomed to his character and personality and almost had become too familiar with him. He noted that for future reconsideration.

"Ah, Mr Colton, there you are," the skunk said upon entering.

Roger turned around and greeted him, "You did ask for me to be here."

The skunk walked around and took his seat. "Yes, yes I did. I, hm... I guess I've asked you here as I have done in the past too, uh, inquire as to the progress that Mr Wright, heh, has achieved. I see he is... markedly doing much better than his previous, hm... endeavours, let's say."

The fox nodded. "Yeah, he's improved a lot. And, uh, I guess he has you to thank for that, really, since you did pair us up. And I have you to thank for that, as well, since he's turned out to be a truly great friend. Never would've given him the chance otherwise."

"I'm glad to hear it. And his other classes? He is doing... well in them? I have heard, how do you put it... rumours, I suppose, or just talk, that you have had, what is it? Propositions, to teach others. Do you not feel that they deserve a chance, as well?" the skunk asked him.

Roger shrugged. "Maybe, but not to the detriment of Hunter's studies. We, uh... study quite a bit, and it's a bit too late for someone to just jump in the middle, you know?"

The skunk thumbed at a knickknack on his desk thoughtfully. "I believe you're correct, though perhaps just a... consideration, I suppose. Everyone needs help once in a while. If ever you have the, uh, time, you could help others the way you've helped Mr Wright. Regardless, that's really all I wanted to... touch upon this moment. It is always beneficial to receive word as to how, uh, my students are performing. I will see you in class, Mr Colton."

Roger stood up and nodded. "Thank you, Mr Levy. I assure you, you won't be disappointed next test."

The skunk smiled at him as he left. "I'm sure I won't be."

The fox departed. Perhaps he could help.