Chapter Nine

A few more weeks of treatment went by, and Eliza's body seemed to be responding as well as it could be on chemotherapy drugs. The cancer seemed to be shrinking and the treatment plan was going better than expected. They wouldn't know for sure until after the second cycle of treatments, but her blood tests were showing that she could be making progress.

Eliza's side effects had gotten worse after the first week of treatment, and she wasn't able to control her nausea by forcing herself to sleep after treatments anymore. She would get sick for the following hours after the medicine was infused, and she was no longer able to wait until she got home to vomit.

After those few hours, she'd finally fall asleep throughout the rest of the day and wake up around dinner with an appetite just big enough to get down a small meal so long as it wasn't too rich. She was grateful that some of her appetite was slowly returning.

Alexander and Eliza had been making progress on their scrapbook too. They were almost through with all the pictures from their freshman year, filling it with friends, family, and even pictures of their relationship that didn't make it into her photo books. They reminded her of a time where life seemed so hard but was actually so easy looking back. Sure, there was the stress of tests and homework, but life was simpler.

Eliza was now nearing the end of her first chemotherapy cycle and only had one week left. She'd take a short break before starting the next cycle of treatments.

This would allow time for her normal cells to divide and grow back faster than the cancer cells. Eventually, she'd have the same amount of normal cells she started with and none of the cancer cells. The oncologist was confident that this was the best plan, and was certain that Eliza was doing well.

Eliza was a champ at getting the IV put in now. She still was unable to watch as the needle went in, but she didn't flinch anymore or have to hype herself up to not be scared. She suspected that she'd get even better at taking it throughout her next cycles.

The day came of her final chemotherapy session of her first cycle. She boarded up more pictures and all the supplies needed to add more to their book, as well as her trusty pillow and sick bucket for the car. A few snacks and drinks were added to her bag as well because she sometimes got hungry throughout the infusion.

They worked hard on the scrapbook throughout the infusion, and even got started on their sophomore year. Eliza was excited to add pictures of Peggy and John to the scrapbook because they were just a year behind Eliza and Alexander.

Finally, the infusion was finished, and there were tears of joy beginning to form behind her eyes. It had been a long two months coming in to the hospital every Saturday morning, with months of sickness and frustration.

She had actually made it through her first treatment cycle! She couldn't wait to celebrate with her friends and family.

Nurse Amy entered into her cubicle, smiling like every other time she came in to check on her or take out her IV. She knew that today was a special day.

"You made it, Eliza," she said excitedly, washing her hands and sticking new gloves on to remove the IV. "You've done so well. We'll see you in three weeks to start the second cycle, all right? You may still see some fatigue and nausea persist, or they may and most likely will subside at least a little bit. Any questions?"

Eliza smiled and shook her head, excited to be off of the treatment even just for a few weeks. She felt grateful to be alive right now and proud of herself for finishing her first cycle of treatment.

"Congratulations, Eliza. I'm sure once some side effects subside you'll be able to celebrate your first step towards a cancer free life," Amy said as she wrote a few things down into her computer. "See you in three weeks!"