Chapter 16 - Who is NEWART?

Just as he expected. Napangiti siya. Alam niyang iiwan ng taong 'yon ang court para lang pumunta sa lugar na 'yon. He looked at his wristwatch.

And in that run-down building, the whistle of the air can only be heard. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm waiting...

Marianne cleared her throat. She secretly slipped inside the locker room of their school's basketball players. And now, wala siyang alam kung ano ang dapat niyang maramdaman sa pagkakataong 'yon.

Kanina pa niya tinitingnan ang mga litratong nakahilata sa sahig. Agad siyang sinakluban ng takot na hindi niya mawari.

"It's dangerous here. Everywhere...is dangerous for you. What should I do about you?"

She suddenly remembered those words from Geoff.

Everything seems clearer to her this time. She remembered that Geoff's opponent team right now lacks one more player. Scenes from everywhere suddenly flashed through her mind: that fateful night when she met the masked guy who named himself Newart, the gang with the scorpion and lizard mark, Trent's face, Geoff's irritated face while warning her to stay away from the guy he met at the mall, and lastly... that sudden encounter with that guy at the park. PRINCE.

"Nakakapagod ka ring pagmasdan mula sa malayo," Prince whispered through her ears.

Marahas siyang bumuntung-hininga. Her heart was beating so fast. She clenched her fists.

Natigilan siya nang bigla siyang may naramdamang presensya. Agad niya itong nilingon. Umawang ang bibig niya nang makilala ito.

Ngumiti lang ito sa kanya.

"This is bad..."

There were over forty members bearing the Scorpozard's symbol on that huge building somewhere within the heart of the city. Every single one of them wore a white mask. The gang started just six months ago, and yet it was the second biggest gang. Fourths of them stayed outside the building to secure the place as if guardians, when in fact, they were just all on their teens with nothing but Newart's trance on them.

The big door leading inside opened again and everybody looked at the one who just entered. There was a sudden look of confusion towards the guy who was wearing a jersey jacket and pants. All the more when he wore the same black circle-tattoed cap just like someone. Unlike the other guy, he was not wearing the same fractal-shaped earring, and yet there's something about him that tells them he's on par with that Cloud they've known. AND HE'S MORE DANGEROUS more than anyone else.

Napatayo ang grupo nina Klyde nang makita ang lalakeng pumasok sa loob. Naroon din ang grupo nina Tonio at Brandy na pinatumba nina Cloud sa loob lang ng isang araw. Ang ilan sa kanila ay sumanib na rin sa grupo ni Newart.

"And the captain's here. Long time, no see, Geoff," nakangising bati ni Klyde sa lalakeng palapit na ng palapit sa kanila.

Geoff's face was as cold as ice when he just walked past Klyde's group. He glared at them for a moment. Napaatras si Klyde sa nakita kay Geoff. Kumunot ang noo niya. Is this Geoff?

Dumiretso si Geoff patungo sa nakaupong si Newart na nasa dulo ng building na 'yon.

Agad na tumayo si Newart, at hinarap si Geoff. Nakatingala dito si Geoff sapagkat mas mataas ito ng kaunti sa kanya. Malaki rin ang pangangatawan nito. Nakamaskara at naka-jacket rin ito kaya mahirap itong makilala.

"Ang bilis mong nakapagpalit, ha? Too bad you can't wear your jersey here. It's off-limits," said Newart in his low, sarcastic voice.

Geoff clenched his fists and suddenly nailed a punch towards Newart's mask!