Chapter 27: An Accident, An "Adequate" and The Not So Dead?

It was time

It was time. This was happening. I was making it happen. We were almost inside the Supervillain hideout library. I brought them here.

I walked ahead. I silently nudged Deck to stand down. Behind me. The team wasn't too big but we still looked suspicious together.

"Password?" A gruff voice demanded as I knocked on the door.

"I don't know. Dark's been arrested. I need help!" The door opened a sliver and the same older guy from last time stood there with his creepy smile.

He took one look at me and nodded, opening the door wider, allowing me to enter.

I don't know if he saw them, if he even noticed that I wasn't alone. I just know that as soon as my foot was beyond the door, the man collapsed with the gentlest of gasps, clawing at his neck.

Deck was effective if nothing else. She could make another person choke with one look. I reminded myself to never get on Deck's bad side and to never let Dark get on her bad side because that was more likely to happen.

"Building's surrounded." Deck assured me, "don't worry."

"Uh huh, any other exits?"

"No but we've got people posted on all possible exit spots."

"Here." Deck handed me a grenade.

"No, I have powers for that."

"Brenner's orders. You don't have to use it." She shrugged.

By now there were enough eyes on us to cause a deep sense of worry in everyone there. It dawned on me why nobody had done anything to get in our way. They trusted me? Blindly? To the point where they shouldn't have. I pocketed the grenade and took a shaky step forward.

It was just as pleasant as when I'd left it. People littered around the room. Some eyes on us, others busy with their own thing, barely aware that they were going to be arrested. There were definitely a lot more people here than there had been the last time.

"Light!" I saw Olive's smiling face approach me with a skinny, red haired boy following her.

"Who's your friend?" She asked, eying Deck.

"You first." I said, trying to sound polite. It didn't matter who he was, he was in just as much shit as she was. As they all were.

"Jared." He introduced himself, "I do ballet poorly and keep secrets well--" he stopped mid sentence and his bespectacled eyes widened. He adjusted the wiry frame of his glasses and took in a deep breath, gripping Olive.

"Hey, is The Pirate here?" I asked with a dull smile.

"Uh--yeah... where's Dark?"

"He's," I paused, looking for the right word, "unavailable."