CHAPTER EIGHT

The first thing you notice when you come to is the sound of a dull buzzing by the side of your ear. "You're awake," Ren states, his voice deep and modulated. eyes fluttering open, you turn to face him, seeing the blurry vision of the silver and black mask, "Don't try to struggle against your restraints, I made sure they were as tight as possible without breaking your frail wrists."

You stay silent, part of you thinking that he surely knows you wouldn't try to escape... not with him right in front of you... and not with the memories of the last thing he said to you fresh in your mind. But you push that back, far, far back, in fear of someone else being privy to your thoughts.

You watch him, trying to notice any change in his body language. But he gives you nothing. Absolutely nothing to work with. When you look down at yourself, you notice a bandage on your rib. But you know for a fact there is no wound. You realise, when you look back up at him, at his still and rigid figure, that something is wrong. It's an act. It's all an act.

Your wound, his mask, this dark room, that uncaring tone. All of it. You try not to let emotion overcome you. Is this happening? Is he... back? You forget yourself. Before the smile makes its way to your lips and the tears can form, he ignites his saber.

"You're relieved that you're alive," his voice is harsh but he is still, "I assure you, you won't hold onto that feeling much longer."

Taking a breath, you remove the feeling. You try to imagine everything is back to the way it used to be, you and Kylo Ren as enemies. You hope you're convincing enough for the shadows haunting and spying on Ren's mind. He can't speak to you openly, not with the looming figure of Snoke around every corner. You don't even want to think of what he'd do to the man in front of you if he found out he were doing this.

"You've become weak," He announces, staring you down with his saber beside your head, "Usually I'd feel special being the only one to hear every thought that goes through your frail mind."

I know what you're doing, you think aloud. Kylo shifts. "I know..." He takes another pause before continuing, inching his weapon closer, "you've seen the map to Skywalker," his voice is low and calm and you can feel the heat near your skin, "the droid showed it to you. And now, you'll show it to me."

"No," you refuse him, staring up at the man, "You can't make me, I'll resist you." You need a way out, I'm here to help you. You project your thoughts to him. "I'll do whatever it takes." You promise him.

"You will?" Kylo answers you, his jaw clenching. He hopes you are understanding his responses. And by the thoughts you're discreetly sending him, he knows you must be. Kylo focuses on what you're saying rather than the thoughts in his head, and he feels Snoke's calm and victorious mood. Snoke can't hear what you're thinking, thank the stars.

His lightsaber is off, placed upon his side, and it's quiet now. He lets himself exist in the silence for a moment before his hands reach for the sides of his helmet. Taking it off, Kylo slams it against the bench. The bags under his eyes have gotten worse, it seems he hasn't rested or slept. And you wonder how long you've been on board for.

Kylo leans towards you, his eyes watching you as he thinks.

You have to look away from him. You force yourself to. "I'm not giving you anything."

"That's fine," he mumbles to you gently, leaning forward as he stares at you, "I can take whatever I want from you." Another pause. How do I help you? You ask him. "And... after I pry the map from you, I'll take you to Snoke..." Kylo watches you, hoping you disregard the last part he adds, "I'm sure he'd love to watch you die as much as I would."

Wait... My lightsaber... Where is it?

Swallowing the lump in your throat, you stare up at the ceiling, "Killing me won't provide you with the escapism you seek," you admit to him, "but you know that. It won't make you free."