Chapter 4

Clarke wasn't entirely sure if Indra was angry or not. She knew that Indra didn't like her very much although she suspected that the reason for that was not her heritage. She believed that Indra just didn't like her specifically. The grounder has found friends among Clarke's people like Kane for example. The fact that Sara had gone to Clarke to talk and not to her didn't help to improve their relationship. But for now, Indra seemed calm. Clarke didn't know if Indra was just good at hiding her anger or if she was in fact calm.

While Clarke had been debating what Indra was feeling, the grounder had gathered the rest of her people around her. They were having an argument in Trigedasleng until Indra spoke up. Now, Clarke was sure that Indra was angry or at the very least annoyed. "Em pleni!" She turned around and headed towards Clarke. "They want to talk? Let's talk!" With that, she passed Clarke and marched with great strides towards the clearing. Clarke who got taken by surprise had to run to catch up to Indra. The other grounders followed them, but Clarke stopped them before they stepped out onto the clearing. When Indra gave her a questioning look, she explained that arriving here with a group of warriors would probably give the strangers the wrong impression and might provoke a fight. She added that they could stay hidden behind the trees and help if something went wrong. Indra looked back to her people who had been waiting for a signal from her and gave them a quick nod. The grounders hid right away out of sight. Clarke and Indra went towards the group in the middle of the clearing.

One of them must have been on watch because someone had woken up the rest of the group. Some of them were fully awake while others were still stretching and in the process of waking up. One of them was still sleeping even though a woman was shaking him. "Mick! Wake up!"

When Indra and Clarke reached the group, he woke up, grabbed his gun, and pointed it at them before opening his eyes fully. Another woman who Clarke recognized as Sara stepped between them. She told the man whose name seemed to be "Mick" to put his gun down. He growled discontentedly and complained about never being allowed to set anything on fire. Sara waited for him to lower his gun and then turned around to face Clarke and Indra. The other legends had circled the blonde and the grounder.

"Who are they?", Zari asked. The blonde answered before Sara could say anything: "We are grounders. My name is Clarke and ...", she pointed at the woman next to her, "...this is Indra of Trikru. But the real question is: Who are you? Your..." She hesitated for a second. "...captain?..." She glanced questioningly at Sara who gave a quick nod in response. "...told us that you are not from here." Nate smirked and said under his breath, "That's one way to put it." Everyone stared at him. When he realized it, he lifted his hands in a surrendering fashion. "Just saying", he added. Zari shook her head hopelessly and everyone reverted their attention back to the grounders. Clarke repeated her question. The legends all looked at Sara, expecting her to answer, but it was Charlie who ended up taking initiative and said, "That is a little bit complicated and a story for another time. All you need to know is that we have no intention to fight you. We just want to get back to where we came from as soon as possible." Sara gave her a quick, thankful nod while Indra complained angrily, "We need a bit more than that. How are we supposed to trust you? " Clarke interrupted her, before she could go on. "No matter what they tell you, you won't trust them! Just give them a chance. It looks like they knew about us for a while and they didn't attempt a single time to attack us, did they? And they're not attacking us now either, are they?" Indra was obviously displeased with the situation. "But why did they send two of their people away then?" The legends must have looked a bit worried, because Clarke reassured them right away, saying that Indra sent two of her people after them, but nothing would happen to them. "That doesn't answer my question: Why did you send them there?", Indra questioned them. Realizing that Indra would insist on this question, Sara explained that she sent them to the ship that they came here in to make sure that no-one found it and to make repairs. Indra still didn't look like she trusted them, but she didn't say anything anymore. Instead, Clarke spoke up while looking at Sara: "We know Sara, the captain, and your leader, but we haven't been introduced to the rest of you yet." Nate was the fastest to answer the hidden but obvious question. "Hi, I'm Nate and-", Charlie shoved him in the back. He corrected himself and finished with: "Nice to meet you." As he said that, he held his hand out towards Indra who just looked at it disgustedly. Clarke grabbed it in her stead and Nate shook it. Charlie went next making it short. She simply told Indra and Clarke, "Hey, I'm Charlie". Astra, Zari, and John did the same, although John added his last name to the introduction and Zari added a "Nice to meet you". Mick just grumbled his name.

"What now?", Astra asked. Indra announced that they would rejoin with her people and the other two legends at the same place where they split up. Then, they were going to meet the commander who would decide what would happen to the legends. With that, she called the grounders who had been hiding all this time. Most of the legends were surprised when they saw the warriors and hunters except their captain who Indra was getting more impressed by than she cared to admit. 

Clarke stopped Indra in her impatience anticipating Sara's objection to walking through a forest in the middle of the night and pointed out to the grounder that it was still dark. They should wait for the next day and then they could leave. Indra agreed reluctantly and told her people to keep an eye on the strangers. They came closer to the legends looking a bit hostile. Everyone lied down except for Nate who was on watch next and a grounder warrior who got posted as night watch by Indra.

The rest of the night passed without any further interruption. In the morning, the legends picked up their things and then started to head back the same way they came. Indra led them with one of her warriors. Her other people followed in behind. The way back didn't take as long as the previous day, because the grounders knew the forest.