Soulmates, Part 1

Song: Stitches by Shawn Mendes
This is set in a world where when your soulmate draws on themselves or gets a cut or scratch, it shows up on you as well. It takes place before Nathan and Micah first meet.

Nathan
I am at home, lying in bed, waiting for my stomach to be cut open.
Yesterday, in the middle of class, words started appearing on my leg. They were from my soulmate, which is strange because normally, things like this only start showing up when you turn 12. But I'm only 11. I started screaming and everyone was trying to see what was happening. My teacher quickly pushed me out of the classroom and told me to find somewhere private to read the words on my leg. They just kept appearing, it wrapped all around my leg. I found a spot to sit outside, sheltered from the rain that was pouring down. I waited until the words stopped before I started reading.

Hello...whoever you are. I know I have never tried to communicate with you before but I just turned twelve recently. And this is important. I know you probably have a life of your own, and things to do and people to see but I may have to put a pin in any plans you have. Tomorrow, I am having surgery on my stomach. Don't worry, it's keyhole, which means there will only be tiny cuts. But I would advise that you stay at home tomorrow. And possibly have towels ready to soak up the blood. I'M JUST KIDDING! There won't be that much blood... I think. Anyway, I hope you are ok. I can't wait to meet you one day! Micah xoxoxo

Micah. My soulmate's name is Micah. Micah. I have never met someone called Micah before. Maybe I will meet him next year. Or the year after. Whenever it is, I hope it's soon. I mean, I am getting cut open for him.
I am scrolling through Instagram now. I really wish Micah had told me when the surgery would be. Right now, it's just a waiting game.
My mum walks into my room, "Has it happened yet?"
"No, not yet." I reply, sitting up. It's 10am now. I just want to get this over and done with.

Micah
"I just want to get this over and done with!" I exclaim. We are in the waiting room with all of the other little kids waiting for their surgeries. The nurse said that mine will probably take 4 hours. It's the longest surgery I have ever had.
"Micah? Are you in here?"
"I'm Micah." I say. The nurse walks over to me.
"Hello Micah, my name is Hannah. I'll be your nurse during your stay here. The doctor is ready for you now." I follow Hannah down a corridor, my mum by my side. We go into a small room with a single bed and a few different machines. I kick off my shoes and hop onto the bed. I have done this too many times before.
"Before we put you to sleep, if you want to write anything for your soulmate, you can." One of the other nurses passes me a felt tip pen. I remove the cap, the pen hovers just above my arm. I didn't get a reply to my message yesterday. Maybe today will be different.

About to go for my surgery. You don't need to reply but it would be a nice surprise when I wake up if I know what your name is. Well, good luck!