Chapter One

Confusion. That is the one word I can use to describe how I feel as my eyes open slowly to take in my surroundings. I don't know where I am, who I am, or how I got here. I feel as though there are very important things I should be thinking right now, but as I try to summon the memories, they don't come.

I can't remember much of anything. But, why?

Well, I can start with what I do remember, I suppose.

The ground - that's what I'm lying on. The brown stuff under me is called dirt, the green is grass. Pain - that's what is stabbing my head. I think the emotion I'm feeling is called fear, but that's not physical. If my brain can be trusted, then by the looks of things, I'm in a forest.

Why can I remember this piddly shit but not how I ended up on the ground, in pain, and afraid in the first place?

I sit up slowly, taking in my surroundings yet again, trying to make sense of the void filling my head. I am surrounded by trees, giant trees that tower above me. The ground beneath me is damp, the sun is setting, I am facing North. It's a decent amount of information, but it does nothing to help me.

What is going on? Where am I?

Who am I?

I can't even remember my own name.

All I can remember is running as fast as I can, fear controlling my pace and making my feet hit the ground at a rapid rate.

But, what was I running from? Or who, rather?

A rustling in some bushes causes both my thoughts and my body to freeze. I jerk my head around trying to find the source of the sound. A twig snaps to my left and I jump in the other direction, scrambling to my feet. My head jerks to the left to see a tall, muscular man approaching me. I yelp in fear, unable to move, my head pounding in pain.

"Who are you?" his voice booms in the silence of the forest. He stares me down with hard eyes, patiently awaiting my answer. I can tell his patience is wearing out.

"I don't know," I answer honestly, terrified. My voice and body are both shaking as I stand before him. "I don't remember," I tell him. "I woke up on the ground, I remember running and-"

"Stop," he snaps. I instantly shut up. "Don't move," he says, walking towards me gently. I obey the command, though I'm not sure why. As he gets closer, I catch a whiff of his scent and determine he is a wolf. He smells distinctly of sandalwood and, for some reason, it calms me - only slightly. I can sense the power; he's a higher rank - at least a Commander. Wait, what is a Commander?

It takes everything I have in me not to cower away from him; I wouldn't dare disobey an order from someone of his rank. I don't even remember what ranks are, but I'm willing to trust my instincts right now. He lifts his hand to the side of my head and gently presses on my hairline above my right ear. I flinch involuntarily and hiss in pain at the sting his fingers cause as they touch my skin. "You hit your head," he observes, pulling his hand away to inspect the half-dried blood on his fingertips. "Come with me."

He turns and begins walking away and I silently follow behind him.

"You're a witch?" he asks, not looking back at me. I nod my head before realizing he can't see me. "I can smell it."

"Y-yes," I stutter. That's another thing I can remember - now that he's said, that is. I'm a witch. 

I suddenly remember the fact that I am a wolf as well, just like him, but that memory comes with the familiar feeling of fear and an instinct that is telling me not to tell strangers this.