Chapter Twenty-Two

"Evelyn, do you think you can help me for a moment?"

I glance up from my book and fight the urge to glare at Marianne. 

"With what?" I all but snap at her. Her eyes widen and she immediately looks guilty for bothering me. 

Wow, Evie, Eliza says, what the fuck?

I don't know, I admit, I miss Sam.

"I'm sorry, Marianne," I apologize out loud. "I'm a little irritable today, I'm not sure why."

"You spent five days alone with your mate," Marianne says with a chuckle, approaching me, "and now you've spent this whole morning apart. That's why."

She's right, though. We got back from the cabin last night, much to my dismay. Though, after five days away, I know Sam needed to tend to some things. Which is what he's been doing all morning, locked up in his office on calls and doing paperwork. 

I offered to help him with paperwork or anything else I could do, but he just told me he wanted me to take it easy and keep learning whatever I want to about the pack before I jump into all the pack work. 

I was none too pleased. 

He kept insisting that he wanted me to take things slow. He said he didn't want me to be overwhelmed by learning everything all at once. He also made the good point that once I have to be learning things, it may be less fun and I may be less passionate, so he wants me to keep doing what I want for now.

I hate that he's probably right.

Though, he did promise to start working with me once this mess with Darius has blown over. I'll make him keep his word, that's for sure.

It is sweet that he is only trying to keep my best interest in mind. 

"Being apart isn't an excuse for me to be short with you," I tell Marianne, ignoring the longing I feel in my chest. Remembering just how sweet and thoughtful he is doesn't help how much I miss him right now. "What did you want help with?"

"I was hoping you'd check on the garden with me. I want to make sure I'm taking care of the plants properly," she tells me. "But, another time." She prepares to leave me with my book, but I speak up.

"No," I hurry out before she can turn around. "Maybe getting some air would be good for me." She smiles and nods her head. 

"Only if you're sure," she tells me. I nod, setting down my book that details the pack laws. 

Hello, my love, I just want to remind you that I love you, Sam's sweet voice rings out in my head. A grin breaks across my face and warmth settles over my heart. Like clockwork, Sam has been linking me throughout the morning to tell me that he loves and misses me. Every time, I feel like a giddy little girl who's just been kissed for the first time. 

I love you, ae cale, I hum back to him, following Marianne out the door. I miss you.

I'll take a break for dinner, he promises before going silent again. A slight emptiness settles over my heart when I feel his presence leave, but I push it aside and focus on Marianne. It's been a while since I've spent some quality time with her. 

"There's actually another reason I invited you out here, Eve," Marianne says quietly, almost nervously. I suddenly feel panicked and cornered. 

Also, where did the nickname come from? Eliza pipes up. 

"Oh?" I hum nonchalantly, trying to ignore my anxieties. She glances at me nervously and bites her lip. 

"Connor told me that Penelope is also a hybrid."