Chapter Twenty-Seven

Can I ever catch a break?

I look around the clearing at the fighting, wondering how on earth we got here. Noticing I am caught off guard, a dirty brown wolf lunges at me and knocks me to the ground. 

A white wolf attacks the rogue to the forest floor, effectively ripping its throat out in the process. I nod a quick thank you to Samuel's wolf before throwing my wolf form at a vampire and tearing its head off before it can get close to Asher. 

A surprise attack is not what I wanted this morning. I woke up to a deliciously naked Sam who was very ready to repeat the events from last night. I wanted to indulge for once in my life. 

I never get what I want, though.

I woke up to news that Darius and his group were close by and I was angry to say the least. Of course he had to ruin my glorious morning; why am I surprised?

After convening with everyone to come up with a plan for defense, Darius's spy to unknowingly revealed himself. 

"Do you know any of their attack strategies?" I had asked Darcy. Sam and I had met everyone in the kitchen once news of Darius's presence broke. When I had looked at her though, she was staring behind me as if she'd seen a ghost. 

"Y-you?" she questioned aloud, confusion laced in her tone. "You're supposed to be dead."

So, she is seeing a ghost, Eliza retorted, causing me to chuckle internally.

I turned around to see Harland standing behind me, staring at Darcy as if he had been caught murdering a child. 

"He's the spy," Darcy said before anyone could ask, so sure of herself I almost didn't even question her. I glance at Harland and see his panicked eyes flash with anger and confusion.

"Harland? There's no way he-"

"His mate's name is Zelena," she cut Asher off, "she's practically Darius's second. They told us her mate did what I did - left them and ran off. But, they told us they hunted him down and killed him."

I stared at Harland, my mouth hanging open as I didn't know what to believe. 

"His picture is on her desk, it's unmistakably him," Darcy continued, as if afraid we didn't believe her. 

"When did he supposedly run off?" I asked her, my eyes narrowing as Harland's widened. He knew he was caught. 

"Fifty years ago."

A fairy flies at me at top speed, almost catching me in my distraction, but I grab his arm in my mouth and fling him into a tree. I see his wing bend at an awkward angle as he cries out in pain.

I need to stop getting distracted.

A brown wolf lunges at the fairy and ends his screams before looking at me. The warrior questions me with her eyes, making sure I am okay before taking off and lunging at another fairy not far away.

Can you shift into your dragon yet? Eliza asks me. 

Not yet, I tell her. Not until we see Darius. 

She huffs in annoyance, grumbling something about me being a stubborn ass. She thinks my dragon is the coolest thing, which I concur, but that doesn't mean I want to whip it out right away.

Besides, if I shift now, it might scare him off before I even see his stupid face. 

I want to catch Darius off guard. Just when he thinks he's winning, when he thinks he has what he's always wanted, I want to rip it away from him. I want him to feel how I felt.