Chapter Eleven

"Connor, Evelyn!" 

My gaze, which was following Connor's shoes to the kitchen, raises to see Marianne. She smiles happily, spotting us from down the hallway. We were on our way to the kitchen to see if there were plans for dinner, but I assume that's changing now. 

"Are you coming for dinner?" she asks. "There's a new omega training," she continues, not giving us time to respond. "She's sweet. Doing really well. I was just talking to her. She told me she loves to make breakfast casserole whenever her mom doesn't feel like cooking at home so I asked her to make some tonight, I hope that's okay."

"I was just going to grab some day old chicken, so that sounds wonderful," Connor beams. Breakfast casserole does sound amazing.

"I'm going to my room for a bit, but I'll be back down for dinner," Marianne announces before she continues past us down the hallway.

"Do you smell that?" Connor asks after we part ways. He lifts his nose into the air and inhales deeply. "Smells like sage and cinnamon." I take a whiff of the air, picking up the scent a little.

"Kind of," I tell him. "It's pretty faint."

It's also a weird combination for a breakfast casserole. 

"Faint?" he asks me in disbelief. "It's overpowering." We turn into the kitchen and I spot a girl with blonde hair standing at the island. She appears to be whisking eggs. She looks up and meets my eyes first. My eyes widen instantly as I look into deep purple irises.

Oh, fuck. This girl is a fairy. A nymph, actually, based on her purple eyes. Which means we have another hybrid on our hands. 

Does she know?

I hit Connor's hand frantically, trying my best to be subtle. He doesn't look at me though. The girl smiles politely, ignoring the shock written all over my face and nodding her head as a greeting before looking at Connor.

I hear Connor let out a hard breath and watch as the girl's whisk drops from her hand.

Oh my gods.

That's why the smell was so overpowering for Connor. 

"Mate," Connor whispers, almost inaudibly, his voice full of desire. I watch him as his expression changes to one of anticipation, waiting to see what the girl before us will do. He's not going to like what happens next.

To his surprise, she doubles over in pain.

Her screams fill my ears as she bends over, her hands flying to her back.

"What the fuck!?" Connor screams, running to her side. 

I remember reading about when a fairy's wings come in, it's almost as painful as when a wolf shifts for the first time. Their wings break through their skin almost all at once, but it can sometimes take a few minutes. For Nymphs, the process takes longer because they don't get their wings until they meet their mates - they are the only fairies who even have mates.

How is this wolf also a fairy? How did no one know? 

How is she a nymph and she didn't know? They know everything.

I rush to the girl's side as I say a spell quickly, my hand essentially turning into an ice cube. I ease my hand under her shirt quickly, placing my cold skin on her back. Her head whips up and she thanks me silently with her eyes. 

"It's okay," I assure her, "it'll only last for a minute and it will be over." Her wide eyes flood with panic and confusion, but she nods her head. "Connor, come here and rip her shirt!"