Chapter Twenty

Midnight Rising was amazing. 

Maybe I'm just saying that because it was the first non-educational film I've watched in a number of years, but it was really good. I understand why Penelope knew I would like it. 

I'm a sucker for cheesy romance stories; this particular one just had more blood and violence than I'm used to for this genre. 

I fucking loved it!

I glance over at Sam to see what he's thinking and I realize he doesn't seem all too pleased. 

"What's wrong, Sam?"

"I'm realizing the only reason Penelope wanted us to watch that was because she thinks I should mark you," Sam mumbles begrudgingly. I feel my eyebrows furrow in confusion as Sam sighs as if he regrets admitting that to me. I pull away from his comforting embrace, much to his dismay, to sit and face him properly. "Well, you know, because what's-his-name marked Midnight in the movie."

"And you automatically assume that means she wants you to mark me?" I question, honestly trying to follow his logic. He sighs again, sounding annoyed. Did I say something wrong?

"Every single one of them has brought up me marking you," he grumbles, sounding almost angry now. "It's none of their fucking business." I gently lay my hand on his knee, hoping to soothe him slightly. This may be a bigger deal than I originally thought. Have they really been putting that much pressure on him to mark me?

"You're right," I tell him, "it's not. You and I are the only ones that matter and we've already established that a mark means very little to me compared to you."

"And what if I never want to mark you?" he whispers, so quietly I can barely hear him. Was I even meant to?

I shuffle closer and swing my leg over him so I am sitting in his lap. His mouth drops open and he stares at me with wide eyes. 

"I mean it when I tell you that you are more important to me than anything," I tell him, forcing him to look me in the eyes. His beautiful hazel irises glaze over and I can tell he's fighting back joyous tears. "If I die without a mark on my body, but still able to call you mine, I will die happy."

A single tear slips from his eye as he nods his head, letting me know that my words have reached him. 

"I would do any- and everything for you, Samuel Evander. Don't you ever doubt it."

"I'll do my best not to," he promises. He pulls me into him and presses his lips to mine. The kiss is slow and sweet and it fills my whole body with happy tingles. I pull away from him to offer him a sweet smile but a giant yawn ruins the whole moment. He laughs lightly at me, though it doesn't make me feel embarrassed. 

"Let's go to bed," he suggests. I nod in agreement, snuggling close and allowing him to pick me up gracefully and carry me to bed.

♥♥♥

What the fuck is on your face? Eliza groans, waking me fully.

Something tickles my nose as I breathe and it makes Eliza growl. She's very upset that she got woken up. 

I feel a nuzzle against my chest, causing whatever is on my nose to tickle me yet again. I peel my eyes open and look down, seeing nothing but coarse, dark brown hair. I lift my head slightly, taking my nose off Sam's head and rub it with my hand to get rid of the weird, ticklish sensation. 

His head shakes slightly, as if he's trying to burrow into my chest and he sighs softly, sounding very comfortable. I smile gently, taking in our position. His leg is thrown over mine, trapping me underneath him. My shirt rode up a bit overnight and my skin is on fire where his arm is wrapped comfortably around my waist. My arm is wrapped loosely around his back and I absentmindedly trail my fingers up and down his spine.