Chapter Eighteen

"I'm so sorry!"

"Sam," I giggle, dropping my shoes on the floor as he shuts the door to his room. The moment the ceremony and reception were over and we left the hall, Sam began apologizing incessantly for not telling me about the pack link or me having to draw his blood. 

He explained that Marianne was supposed to tell me about that while we were getting ready. Making innuendos with Penelope about me bedding her son was more important, apparently. Once I opened up to her she really started to feel comfortable. I'm not sure if I'm regretting that or not. 

"I saw the look on your face," he groans. "You were already anxious, then you had no idea what was going on. Don't tell me you weren't terrified."

I mean, he's not wrong. 

I roll my eyes playfully at him and walk up to him so that our toes are touching. 

"And you've already explained how it's not your fault and I'm clearly not upset anymore, so let's forget about that part," I say softly. I gently wrap my hands around his neck. "Think about our first dance," I tell him, trying to coerce him to sway with me gently. He takes the bait, wrapping his arms around my waist just as they were before on the dance floor. 

It really was perfect. After everyone ate dinner and enjoyed the blood-wine, as Eliza calls it, music started playing and couples gathered on the dance floor. I was hesitant to go at first, but Eliza called me a wuss again. 

Sam lets out a content sigh as we sway in silence, reminiscing in the memory of just hours before. 

"You always think so positively," he mumbles, pressing his lips to my neck. 

"Only when it comes to you," I correct him, "because I only think highly of you."

"I love you," he whispers, kissing my cheek. 

"Let's go to bed," I suggest. "You promised to take me away after the ceremony. I want to leave first thing." He lifts his head to look at me in surprise, as if he wasn't expecting me to be so excited. "As much as you want me all to yourself is as much as I want you all to myself," I tell him, causing a huge grin to spread on his face. 

"Good," he says happily. "Get ready for bed. I'm going to go finalize a couple things so we can leave in the morning." He kisses my forehead and then my lips before leaving the room. 

I quickly strip the dress from my body, hanging it over a chair so it doesn't get wrinkled. I grab one of Sam's worn cotton shirts to throw over my head, allowing his comforting scent to engulf me. I walk to the bathroom and glance at the shower. Do I want to shower or do I just go to bed? 

I think we want to hurry and go to bed so we can snuggle our mate, Eliza decides for me. Not that I don't agree with her. I showered earlier anyway; I can wash off the dance sweat another time. 

I find myself in front of the mirror, unpinning my hair as quickly as I can. Penelope made sure it was secure enough to dance in, so it seems to take forever. My arms are sore by the time I let them fall with the rest of my hair. I quickly wash my face before returning to the room and climbing into bed to wait for Sam. 

I'm not sure how long I took, but hopefully he'll be back soon. The bed feels cold without him.

A knock at the door rings out, making my eyes pop open curiously. 

Is Sam back? Why would he knock on his own door? 

Maybe he thinks you're changing or something, Eliza suggests. Or it's someone else

I swing my legs out from underneath the warm blankets and walk over to the door slowly. The faint scent that wafts in from outside doesn't match Sam's. My curiosity gets the better of me as I open the door to see a woman standing in the hall. She seems shocked when she sees me opening the door.