Chapter Eight - Past

Senior Year

    I was walking to school in silence. Mikasa was sick with the flu, Armin had to leave early to tutor someone, and I didn't really want to walk with anyone else.

    So, why not walk alone?

    It's good to be alone at times.

    Whenever you're alone, you have space to think. Just you and your thoughts accompany you. No one can tell you your opinion is stupid or wrong, and no one can try to make you change your opinion on something.

    Sometimes I just prefer my own company, you know?

    I don't need many people in my life. I have my mother, Mikasa, and Armin. I also have more friends, but not a lot, which is something I'm totally fine with.

    People think you need to have a lot of friends to be happy, that you need to surround yourself by lots of people or else you're alone and sad.

    That isn't true.

    You don't need a lot of friends in life. All you really need is one true friend that accepts you for you and doesn't judge you.

    If you notice, those "popular" kids in high school that have a shit ton of friends usually lose over half of them when they graduate.

    I'm content with my small group of friends.

    I'm happy.

    As I was walking, I noticed how quiet it was. Very few cars were out driving around and I hadn't seen any buses yet. Although, I'm sure I'll see some soon.

    I listened to the faint sound of the wind. I listened to the way the wind would rustle the leaves on the trees, the bushes, and the occasional leaves on the ground that had fallen. I listened to the sound my sneakers made as I was walking against the concrete. I listened to the occasional chirps of the birds and the different sounds different insects made.

    It was peaceful, and I was really enjoying it.

    In fact, I stopped walking for a moment. I just stopped walking and look up at the sky with my hands in my pockets.

    The sky was beautiful in my opinion. It was a mixture of several different colors. Because the sun was still rising, the sky was a light blue color, the clouds looked purple because of the orange and yellow blending in with it thanks to the sun. I found it stunning.

    I contemplated on taking a picture of it with my camera for a few minutes. I had brought it just in case Levi wanted to take photos. But either way, I take random pictures of random things.

    Sometimes I take pictures of sunrises because I get up super early at times and think, "Why the hell not?" and go to the top of the hill. Sometimes I take pictures of sunsets because I find them just as beautiful. I can take pictures of my friends because the smiles on their faces in that moment is beautiful and you can tell how happy they are just by looking at it. I can take pictures of the trees, usually during Fall. The way the colors change leaves and the way they all go well with each other just seems stunning to me.

    I don't want to become a photographer or anything like that, but I enjoy taking pictures at times. It's relaxing for some reason.

    After debating it for a while, probably looking pretty weird to the occasional people who walked by, I decided to take a quick picture.

    I pulled the camera out of the bag and turned it on. I held it up to the sky and waited for it to focus. It actually took me a couple minutes before I actually took a picture, and whenever I did, it came out perfect in my eyes.