Chapter 26: Lost to the Inferno

The week leading up to Saturday seemed to speed by and was here before Dean could barely blink. He was excited to take Castiel out again and couldn't stop thinking about what the night would possibly bring them. The nervousness that had been there was now replaced by exuberant anticipation. Castiel was proving a master of calming any of Dean's anxieties and insecurities.

Dean couldn't stop smiling as he stood in the living room and patted himself down. Phone. Keys. Wallet. Dean nodded as he finished rolling up the sleeves on his light denim button-up and made sure the collar was smoothed down. All set. One last look at his watch and he was out the door to Castiel's with one quick stop.

Pulling up to Castiel's home within fifteen minutes, Dean felt the perpetual grin blossom across his face whenever he was around Castiel. He reached over, grabbing the sunflowers' bouquet next to him, making his way to the porch with a spring in his step. One last inhale and Dean tapped his knuckles on the door a few times, then took a step back to wait.

Castiel's gaze turns to the open bathroom door as he hears a knock at the door. "Must be Dean," he mumbles, running the tips of his fingers through his fringe. "Just a moment," Castiel calls out, leaving the room and heading towards the entrance. His hand firmly gripping the doorknob, Castiel opens the door, revealing Dean. A matching smile graces his face while he motions for the man to come in.

"Hiya, Cas," Dean enters the house as his eyes graze over Castiel's form and blinks a few times. Remembering the flowers in his hand, Dean reddens slightly, holding them out to their recipient. He clears his throat and smirks. "These are for you," he breathes.

Smirking, Castiel huffs a laugh, taking the flowers. "You picked these out on your own?" Eyes sparkling with laughter, he leads the two of them into the kitchen. "I'm gonna put these in some water before we leave. I don't want them to wilt," Castiel offers while reaching into a cabinet for a crystal vase.

Dean nods and follows Castiel into the kitchen. He chuckles and rubs the back of his neck. "Yeah, I hope you like them," he smiles, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"I like them very much, Dean," Castiel says while filling the container with water. Moving to Dean's side, he opens a drawer and produces a pair of scissors. Cutting the stems' bottoms, he arranges the sunflowers and moves the vase to the center of the island. "They're perfect," Castiel sighs.

Grinning, Dean bites down on his bottom lip, watching Castiel. He nudges Castiel gently with his shoulder. "I'm glad, I wasn't sure of your favorite flower since you have so many beautiful ones out front, but those made me think of you," he says softly before clearing his throat. "Are you ready?" He asks.

Reaching over, Castiel pulls Dean against him and into a hug. "Thank you," he whispers against the other man's ear, his voice rough with emotion. "You're so sweet to me," he says. Tightening his grip around Dean's back, Castiel nuzzles his face against the soft column of Dean's neck.

Dean smiles, wrapping his arms around Castiel, trying to match the tightness. "You're welcome," he manages to answer back, hoping Castiel can't feel his racing heart hammering in his chest. He allows his eyes to flutter closed and tries to enjoy the feeling of the other man's body against his.

Slowly, Castiel pulls away. "I'm sorry," he quickly apologizes and looks away. "So, where is this place you're taking us?" Castiel asks, the question rushing past his lips. He knows he's made a misstep and tries to correct his mistake before Dean can read further into their embrace.

Dean clears his throat and shakes his head, feeling slightly dizzy from the loss of contact. "It's, uh, not too far from my apartment actually," he shrugs. "Are you ready to go?" Dean asks, raising an eyebrow.