ii

The Umbrella Academy is not mine.

________ o ☂️ o ________

We Only See Each Other at Weddings and Funerals

ii

"That's one badass stapler!"

________ o ☂️ o ________

Seventeen Years Ago

"In five, four, three, two..."

THE CAPITAL WEST BANK WAS SURELY NOT THE PLACE TO BE THAT DAY. Despite the fact the situation inside was on the brink of boiling over, crowds of people gathered around the blocked off exterior entrance to the bank, trying to catch a glimpse of the action. Police and SWAT vehicles, news vans, and camera crews were scattered throughout the area, each and everyone trying to make sense of the situation that was breaking down inside.

"This is Jim Hellerman," A local reporter spoke to a camera, "Reporting live for Channel Two News, outside of the Capital West Bank at Main and Sixth. A group of heavily armed men stormed the bank not three hours ago and took an unknown number of hostages."

While onlookers and bystanders waited anxiously outside for any sort of sign from inside the bank, the attempted bank robbers tried to take control of the situation inside. A large number of hostages had been taken, anywhere from misfortunate bank goers to tellers and security themselves, and panic hovered in the air, uncertainty palpable. If the robbers didn't get what they wanted, what was going to happen to them?

"Hey, get them behind the counter!" A large man rounded a corner, clearly the leader of the rag tag thieves, as he gestured to his subordinates with his gun, a large phone pressed to his ear. The order was quickly executed, lest they further piss of their leader, and he lifted the phone to his ear, clearly in communication with the police, "Now you've put me in a position where I gotta do something I don't want to do. Hmm?" The man hung up the phone, clearly exasperated, and shouted in frustration, "Shit!" He shifted anxiously, a young African-American girl stepped up to him. She bounced on the balls of her heels innocently, watching as the other robbers rounded up the hostages.

The leader did a double take when the saw the girl, who looked so calm and collected, as she just stood there. His brows furrowed as he took in her appearance. She sported a neatly pressed school uniform, but it was the domino mask on her face that set off alarm bells in his head. Still, he treated her like any other hostage, "Hey, get back with the others."

The girl glanced up at him, a mischievous glint in her eye, "I heard a rumor."

"What?" The man looked annoyed, and her lips quirked upwards in a dangerous smirk, "What did you say?"