ii

The Umbrella Academy is not mine. 

________ o ☂️ o ________

RUN BOY RUN

ii

"I... I could really just use your help, Halyn."

________ o ☂️ o ________

"I SURVIVED ON SCRAPS." Five spoke lowly, a fresh cup of steaming coffee in his hands. If the scorching liquid burned him, he didn't say, as his mind was still distant with memories of his time in the apocalypse, "Canned food, cockroaches, anything I could find."

Halyn grimaced at the idea of eating bugs, but he had to survive somehow. The sound of Five chuckling threw her off, and she glanced at him curiously, "You know that rumor that Twinkies have an endless shelf life? Well, it's total bullshit."

Halyn would've snorted at his comment if the gravity of the situation wasn't apparent, and Vanya swallowed thickly, "I can't even imagine."

Five shook his head, sparing Halyn a quick glance as she squeezed his knee in reassurance, "You do whatever it takes to survive, or you die. So, we adapted. Whatever the world threw at us, we found a way to overcome it."

"We?" Halyn question, her curiosity piqued, "Delores?" She spoke the name slowly, remembering he had mentioned the woman earlier, and the Sioux teen wanted to know more. It wasn't jealousy that prompted her to ask, but rather genuine intrigue. To know Five had at least one person in the apocalypse made her feel a bit relieved.

After all, Halyn couldn't imagine the toll spending forty-two years alone would have on a person.

The softest of smiles tweaked Five's lips at the mention of Delores, but he disregarded his best friend's question, instead holding up his now empty cup, "You got anything stronger?" Halyn frowned at his avoidance, and Vanya nodded.

"Uh, yeah." The ordinary woman stood up from her chair, crossing her small living room and entering the kitchen. She dug into a cabinet by the fridge, pulling out a bottle of whiskey that was still neatly wrapped with a red bow. It must've been a gift, and Vanya poured some into a small glass.

Five had stood up from the couch, Halyn's hand falling from his knee, and she followed him. He was handed the glass, and Vanya offered some of the harsh liquor to the Sioux girl. Her nose scrunched at the idea of drinking the whiskey, stomach flip-flopping, and Halyn politely declined.

Nursing his alcohol, Five swallowed a small sip, relishing the burning-- yet satisfying-- feeling it left in his throat. Halyn stood at his side, and he noted her furrowed brows as she processed the information he had relayed. She was taking it better than he thought she would, but then again, the Sioux girl had always been more than willing to stand by his side.