Chapter 21 - Calm

Brooke almost seemed more angry than before. She rushed over to me and pulled me off the bench. I tumbled to the floor and landed with a hard thump. This time I didn't let her anger get to me. I put up a wall between her emotions and mine, only allowing myself to view what she was feeling. I didn't want to get lost in her sea of anger.

"Brooke stop!" Brandon stood up and attempted to keep distance between her and I.

"I let her keep her things in my room. I got her all of her school supplies. I let her join my friend group. All I get in return is a gross Slytherin who hurts my friend and goes after my boyfriend." She pointed at me. "I see right through your bogus wall. I doubt you are even an empath." I pushed myself off of the floor and stood in front of them.

"I have never lied to you. I have never tried to be sneaky. I have never tried to steal your boyfriend. He is so dedicated to you. Not even to mention the fact I like somebody else." I walked up next to her and touched her wrist. Almost as if it were instinct, I could feel her calming down just from my touch. 

"What are you doing?" She whispered as she grew tired. "Stop." I let go of her wrist and she returned to a middle ground where she was angry but she wasn't happy either.

"Sorry." I folded my arms. "You were really angry and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have listened to me otherwise." 

"Since when could you control others emotions?" Brandon turned to me.

"Just now. I didn't know I could. I'm not even sure how I did it to be quite honest." I chuckled as Brooke wrapped her arm around Brandon.

"Look, if we could just have some space for a week or something that would be great." Brooke attempted a half smile at me. A week? Did I really upset her that much? 

"You mean after the quidditch game?" Brandon said. "It's in a week from today." He looked at me.

"If she plays and she cheats then I knew it all along. She is just like them." Brooke started to lead Brandon away. He glanced back at me. I turned away from them. I couldn't figure out what Brooke had against me. I wasn't even trying to go after Brandon. Draco was who I was after. 

Draco. I forgot he had disappeared for no reason earlier. I looked up at the spires and caught sight of him on the tallest one. I placed my fingers between my lips and whistled as loud as I could. I thought I saw his head turn but he looked so small it was hard to tell. I only knew he had seen me when he mounted his broom and started flying down to me. As soon as he landed I rolled my eyes and tried to look very annoyed.

"Hey." He said as he tried to not look guilty.

"Where did you go?" I folded my arms. "One second you are there and the next you aren't." He nodded before walking towards the broom training field. Once he realized I wasn't following, he turned towards me.

"Are you coming?" He held out his hand. I rushed up next to him and eagerly took his hand in mine. In his other hand he kept a tight hold on his broom.

"So?" I asked as we walked through the field. "Where were you?"

"I saw the others from Ravenclaw and I didn't want them to think that I was antagonizing you so I flew back towards the school and just hung out." He was quiet for a second. "I saw you run into Jackie. Are you alright?" He squeezed my hand.

"Yeah I'm okay. It just knocked the air out of me and my back is a little sore." I said as we approached the shed.

"I have to go grab my bag from under the stands. I've been keeping my broom and stuff over there since I was practicing in the mornings and I didn't feel like wasting my time in the shed." He let go of my hand and rushed over to the stands. I hadn't realized that I was empathizing with him until he stopped holding my hand. It was weird because his emotions never overwhelmed me. I always felt like he felt the same way I did which made me excited. He was special.

He jogged back over to me with his broom bag tossed over his shoulder. He tossed his bag into the shed and shut the door behind him. "Crabbe and Goyle are probably looking for me." He reached out and held my hand. "I caught you." He smirked at me.

"No fair." I whined as he pulled me into a hug. "You were supposed to catch me on my broom." I said into his chest. He was surprisingly warm. Then again, anything could be considered warm out here. 

"Next time I'll make sure to do that." He placed his chin on the top of my head. "So I was thinking that my mornings and after dinner is your time with me. I have to keep the others busy so they don't suspect anything." 

"What if I joined your little group? Brooke already thinks I'm evil so what's the point?" I kept him in my hug and refused to move. I was worried that if I shifted my weight he would back away. His robes smelled like mine, clean. 

"I don't want you to be like them. If you join us then everybody will think you are just another Slytherin stereotype. We both know that you aren't." He whispered.

"Neither are you." I dug my forehead into his chest. 

"I can't come back from what I've done. Even if I did apologize nobody would believe me. So I might as well stay who everybody thinks I am." He took a deep breath as he let me go. "I know I haven't known you for a long time. You've probably heard such awful things about me yet you still chose me. Why?"

"Because I know it's all an act." I laughed as he took a step back.

"How would you know that?" He folded his arms.

"Well clearly something happened between you and those Gryffindor kids. I'm willing to bet it all stems from how you were raised or maybe how neglectful your father is?" I leaned against the shed.

"My father is a great man." His face went stern as he spoke. "He is more powerful than anybody here." I could feel him getting upset.

"I didn't mean it like that Draco. It was just me guessing. I'm okay with being wrong." I reached out and wrapped my arms around him. I did my best to recreate what I had done before with Brooke and I could feel him calming down.

"It's okay." He said as he wrapped his arms around me. "I know he sees like a bad guy but he works hard. He takes care of my family." He took a deep breath. "We should get going. I don't want the others to think that I got too bored of them." He laughed and let me go.

"If you ever do get bored you can come find me. The others from Ravenclaw don't want to hang out with me till after the quidditch match next week." We both started walking back towards the school, keeping a couple inches between us.

"I might have to take you up on that." He laughed as we crossed the field. "All Crabbe and Goyle want to do is go complain and bully people. It gets so boring after a while." 

"Well I'd imagine it would also get boring to those being bullied." I bumped my shoulder against his.

"I guess so. I don't think about it that much." He shrugged.

"You mean bullying kids?" I attempted a laugh before shaking my head at the thought of Draco bullying other kids. "You know that bullying and cheating in quidditch are probably the main reasons that nobody likes you besides the other Slytherins." He laughed out loud before turning towards me.

"I don't care what they think about me. I know I've been a jerk and I probably will continue to be but I do not want that for you. You do understand what I'm saying right?" He looked so humorous while he spoke.

"Yeah of course I understand. But don't be surprised if after a while I start crashing your little friend group. You aren't the only one who gets bored." I poked his chest before we started walking again. I brushed my hand against his and got the fleeting feeling of hope from him.

Draco Malfoy was hopeful. The words brought a smile to my lips as we nodded a quick goodbye to each other before walking away.