Chapter 2 - Friends

We had all booked it as fast as we could. Just as I would've crossed onto Elise's lawn first, Darius dove in front of me and rolled onto the grass. This was something he did quite often. He hated losing more than anything.

"Hey that's cheating!" Alexa said as we all stopped running to breathe. "You don't deserve to win." Alexa laughed as Darius laid flat on the grass.

"You know he will do anything to be first place." I said as I fell onto the grass next to him. He was pretty attractive with his dark brown hair and almost black eyes. His parents were both no-majs so for them it was quite a surprise that their son was a wizard. He was amazingly gifted at dueling. No other wizard I had ever met was a better dueler that Darius. Besides the teachers of course. 

"Yeah which is super annoying." Alexa said as she gulped down air. That's when it hit me. I would never be able to do this again. There was no more racing with my friends and no more spending every afternoon at Ilvermorny roaming through the halls, waiting to get caught. I almost started crying.

"You guys really couldn't help but race here could you?" Elise's voice was so distinct over everything else. I smiled and rolled over onto my stomach.

"What else are we supposed to do on my last day?" I pushed myself off the ground. "We leave in a few hours." 

"That's so dumb. Why can't you stay? I'm sure my parents would let you live in the guest room." Alexa whined. 

"They told me I have to go because I need to get to know my roots or something. I guess because my great grandparents used to be super important wizards, we have to move back and continue the legacy or something." I sat back down in the grass. They all sat next to me in a circle.

"I'm just mad because how are we supposed to have any sort of fun in Charms class without you making fun of the teacher?" Elise laughed before her face went all serious. "Do you know if your parents will let you visit us?" 

"They probably will once I turn 17 and can use magic whenever." I played with the hem of my shirt.

"You better expect so many letters from us." Darius said as he pulled some grass from the lawn and tossed it at me. Okay maybe I kind of liked him. But back when we all first met we swore we would never ever like each other. The last thing we all wanted was to break up the group.

"As should you guys." I said as I grabbed Elise and Alexa's hands. They in turn grabbed Darius'. "Let's promise that we will never stop being friends for as long as we live okay?" I squeezed their hands.

"You can certainly count me in." Alexa said as she smiled at me. 

"You can bet on my whole being that I will always be your guys' friend." Elise said as she laughed. She was really pretty too. She had pitch black hair that complimented her Native American features. 

"Always." Darius said as he kept eye contact with me. For some reason the way he said that felt like he meant so much more than just friends.

~

After playing a few games, the time for our flight grew closer and closer. I would have to go home; something I REALLY didn't want to do. 

Before I started to make my way back home, I pulled Elise into a tight hug, as she would be the first one to receive my goodbye.

"Will you get off already?" Elise playfully shoved me away from her before smirking. "It's almost like you are trying to say goodbye forever." She smiled at me before turning to go inside. "See you later." She shouted before running inside. For some reason, the way she said goodbye felt so lack luster.