An Offer You Can't Refuse

"How would you like to live deliciously?" He asked, giving her a grin that made her heart jump into full speed like a steam engine with fear as its fule. She was certain with ears like his, big and fluffy as they were he could hear it.

She swallowed. "Im... I'm afraid I don't understand..." She said softly and the devil leaned forward, the smile still on his face as his glowing eyes burrowed into hers.
"I want to make a deal with you Ruby. I can give you anything you want. Money, love, fame? You name it and it's yours. All you have to do is sign over that pretty little soul of yours to me..."
Ruby felt a chill run down her back. If she had money she could use it to build a new orphanage... inkwell had so many orphans and so little funding for them...
The dice man laid a paper and pen out on the table and stood back up straight.
At the top it read two big cursive words, "soul contract"
She looked down at the paper and back up at the devil who tilted his head gleefully to the side. "What'd'ya say ruby? Anything your heart desires..."
She bit her lip and swallowed, shaking her head slowly. "I'm sorry sir but I'm afraid I'm going to have to decline." She said , firmly yet inoffensivly.
The devil looked a bit, surprised, as did his lackey.
"Decline?" The devil asked slowly.
She nodded.
"Yes sir. I'm afraid a soul is too heavy a price to pay. No sir I'll earn my money the honest way." She said, gesturing to the bar.
Slowly the devil nodded and began to chuckle a bit as he stood, moving around the table to her where he stood over her and made her over nervous.
He the suddenly stopped laughing and looked down at her bending over, grabbing the back of the chair over her shoulder and the seat of the chair by her hip and pushing it to lean back as hi face was a few mere inches from him and she let out a small cry of surprise when he did that. He moved so fast and was so on point with his movements.
But not once did she break eye contact. She stared up at him, even as her shoulders shook and her chest rose and fell rapidly, her jaw set into a hard line and looked deeply into his eyes.

He looked back and the two stayed that way for a long time before he eased her back down onto the floor band chuckled once more. "Very well. Good evening Ms. Ruby." He said, taking her hand and kissing her palm before walking out with the dice.

About then was when buster finally came out and took her shoulder, "Ruby? You good rubes?" He asked, kneeling in front of her.
"Bucket." She muttered and busters eyes got wide as he grabbed the nearest track can and handed it to her where she was violently ill. Her nerves were shot.
About an hour later buster walked outside with her and smiled at her. "Sure you don't want me to walk you home?" He asked, genuinely worried for her.
She smiled and shook her head. "No. I'm ok. The cool air will do me some good and I need some time to myself." She told him.
He nodded, patting her shoulder before turning and heading off on his way home and she turned to go the opposite way as streetlamps began to come on around her.
She lived in the worse part of Inkwell city but most everyone knew her so at least no one really bothered her which meant generally she wasn't afraid to walk alone at night.

But as she drew into worse and worse neighborhoods she swore up and down she felt someone watching her and it made her feel really uneasy.
She stopped by a late night stall on the side of the road and bought some bread and cheese for dinner. The man even gave her a small cookie.
She thanked the man and headed off again and went to turn down a street when she ran into what felt like a wall but was clearly a person and she let out a shout of surprise before realizing who it was.
"Mangosteen! Christ man! You nearly gave me a heart attack!" She scolded as she leaned back against the wall, the huge creature holding his hands up to show he meant no harm.
"I'm sorry ruby! I didn't mean to!"
"What are you even doing out here? Fees aren't due till the 3rd." She asked, her hand on her chest and he bit his lip, looking off.
"What? What's wrong mango?" She asked, reaching out a gentle hand to place on his arm.
"I have to do something bad ruby and I don't want to..."
She frowned. "What is it mango? Whatever it is can't be all that bad..."
He looked at her and bit his lip. "Please don't hate me." He said, tears falling from his eye.
"Oh mangosteen I couldn't hate you if I tried. Just talk to me." She encouraged gently before he grabbed her and held a damp cloth over her mouth, her eyes wide and she tried to push against him but it was like trying to push a house over and whatever was on the cloth worked fast anyway because before she knew it she was unconscious.
The last thing she heard was mangosteen saying, "I'm really sorry ruby..."