Life With Demons

She passed out that night as soon as her face hit the pillow. She was exhausted from the events of the day and... the previous day she supposed too.
She awoke to a light knocking sound and looked to see the sun just breaking the horizon outside her window. She groaned. It it was that dice waking her this early she was going to use his head as a foot stool...
She stood from the bed and made her way to the door to see mangoseet, crouched down and holding a box of things, looking sheepish.
"Mango!" She said happily, jumping to hug him and his eye widened before he hugged her back.
"Ruby... Ruby I'm so sorry the devil he..."
"Mango it's ok. I'm fine. It wasn't your fault." She said as he eased her back onto the floor.
"I'm glad you're ok... I went to your place and got some of your stuff and stopped by your work and got your dresses..." He said, shaking the box a bit.
Her eyes lit up and she took the box happily. "Thank you mangosteen. You're such a good friend to me. Come in." She said, stepping inside and trying not to giggle as she she watched him struggle to get through the door and then sit on her tiny little sofa.
She sat the box on her bed and started digging through it until she found what she was looking for. "Oh you did grab it! Thank goodness!" She said as she pulled out a little wooden box with a golden R carved into the top and a key hole.
"Yeah... It looked important. What is it?"
"The only thing I have of my parents. When they found me they found it with me, wrapped in the same blanket..." She said as she reached into her shirt and pulled a tiny key pendant on a golden chain out of her blouse and unlocked it. It started playing a gentle lullaby once it opened and she smiled.
Mango smiled. "Pretty.." He mused.
She nodded and sat the box on the bed before tucking the key away again before there was another knock at the door. She raised an eyebrow and mango shrugged as sheshut the box and went to answer it and she frowned. Great. "Morning dicey."
"Don't call me that. It's king dice to you. Brat." He retorted, pushing his way into her room and she huffed a laugh, "Well come on in then..." She muttered.
"Here. Put this on." He said, shoving neatly folded uniform into her hands.
"Ok..." She said as she looked between the two boys, realized they wouldn't leave she sighed and turned to go into the bathroom to change.
She stepped out after a minute. It was a skimpy little number. Short skirt that came up to the middle of her thighs, a blazer jacket to match and a black button up blouse under it that was missing the top three buttons so it was open down to her naval.
As she stepped out she held it shut and glared at dice. "Its missing buttons... important buttons... and a ton of fabric."
He rolled his eyes. "Its a casino. People want to see breasts." He said batting her hands away and straightening out her shirt and then he placed a pair of tall stelleto heals in front of her on the floor and held his hand out to help her step into them. "There. Now you're ready until show time. Boss may want you singing but I need someone to man a spare poker take we have." He said.
"Like a dealer?"
"Exactly. You know how to play poker?"
She nodded
"Know how to spot a cheater?"
She bit her lip and shrugged. "Guess I'll find out."
He sighed. "Just be downstairs in an hour. You too mangosteen. You're doorman today."
"I'm doorman everyday dice. I know."
Dice rolled his eyes and left.
"He's a real peach ain't he?" She mused as she came to sit across from mango on the table.
Mango laughed and shook his head. "He's not so bad. You'll get used to him."
She rolled her eyes. "Sure..."

An hour later mango escorted her downstairs and every eye fell on her as they stepped out onto the floor.

The man they called chips bettagain quickly made his way from the bar and over to her and she took a small step back as he looked down at her. His nose was bandaged up and his eyes were black from the impact. He was the only one wearing something not apart of the uniform and it was a black silk cowboy hat.
She expected him to hit her but instead he smiled and held out a hand. "Ya gotta hell of a hook there darlin! I can respect that." He said brightly.
She blinked, surprised by him but took his hand and shook it. "Uh... thanks. Sorry about your nose...:
"Oh don't worry about it. I've had it broken by worse people that you." He said with a chuckle afore he took a bow, tipping his hat as he kissed her hand. "Names Chips Bettagain but everyone just calls me Chips."
She smiled and nodded. "I'm Ruby."
"Ruby what?" He asked as he and mango started guiding her over to the rest of the group.
"Just Ruby. I don't have a last name."
Chips nodded and slipped an arm around her as they approached the huge cigar. "This is my husband. Wheezy."
The cigar looked down at her and smiled, bending down to take her hand, kissing the top. "A pleasure to meet you little lady. You are fast as field mouse running from hawk." He said in a thick Russian accent.
She smiled.
"Thank you." She said before she heard a fimiliar voice call out. "Mango. If you wanna keep that ball attached to your body go open the doors and man them. Chips get to your station and wheezy get to the smoke stand. We do this every day. I shouldn't have to repeat myself." Dice said, clapping his hands impatiently, making everyone scatter and run away except for ruby who turned to him and folded her arms.
"You're just a little ball of sunshine aren't you?" She mused as he stood in front of her and she flicked his tie, making it flip over his shoulder.
He grumbled and quickly fixed it.
"Brat."
"Bitch."
His eyes flashed green and she smirked before he reached out and took her wrist, bringing her over to an empty poker table as people started flooding in.
"Stay." He said, pointing to the spot she stood in before turning to walk off, muttering about how he doesn't get paid enough to deal with this and that.
She chuckled as she watched him go and soon people began to come to her table and she quickly caught onto what she wss supposed to do.
It wasn't so bad. Pretty relaxing actually.

After a few hours ticked away dice returned and closed her table for the evening and ushered her back stage in the bar area to change and get ready. "I assume you won't be needing my help?" He asked
"Nope. I can dress myself." She said.
He nodded. "You're welcome to wear any of the dresses you see here. The devil had them ordered for you. There's now make up in the vanity there along with hair product. If you need me do me a favor and don't need me." He said before turning to leave. "You're on in one hour." He said pointing to the clock.
She nodded and went to pick out a deep wine red dress with a slit all the way up to her hip and a string of pearls from the vanity. She made her make up a red and black Smokey eye with a red and black lip and she picked out pearl earings on black chains that just kissed her collar bones.
She quickly did up her hair and looked to see the clock said she had two minutes.
She pulled on a new pair of pearl stelleto heals and stood before making her way to stand behind the curtain.

She heard king dice on the stage as she stood there and smiled as he introduced her but instead of just ruby he called her, "our Lady of the Ruby Hearts." And as he finished the curtain opened and the crowd looked at her in awe. She had never seen so many people looking at her. She had never been so nervous to be on a stage.
She swallowed and stepped forward to take the mic from dice as he exited the stage and she looked out over the crowd and her eyes fell on the devil, sitting front and center on a golden throne, his eyes on her and her heart began to hammer.
She cleared her throat and smiled, "hello my dears, "she said, her voice sultry and velvet like as she kept her gaze with the devil. "This is my first night performing here and I really hope you enjoy listening to me as much as I enjoy singing...just for you." She added the last bit with a bit of a blush and she swallowed as music started up behind her and she began to sing.

As her song drew to a close she looked out over the sea of people, not a one moved, or even looked like they were breathing until the devil himself stood from his throne and started clapping and the whole room erupted into applause and praise and whistles.
She brought her hand to her chest and smiled brightly... they liked her... He liked her...