•|CHAPTER 9💜🏝️|•

(unedited)

After prayer, I sat helplessly on the mat. I feel sorry for talking back to Hajiya. I mean she's just like a mother to me and this is not a way of repaying all the good she has done for me. First of all, I never pictured my life to go this way. Now I'm pissed and ashamed at the same time. I have to talk to my husband. I don't want things to get out of hand and at the end of the day, I'll be a divorcee at 22. Ya salaaaaam. This is not good.

I stood up, and walked towards the wardrobe to changed into my nightie. I walked quietly out of the room to Alhaji's room. It's better I try and fail than not try at all.

Knock! Knock!!. I knocked on the door and waited patiently for a reply.

"Come in". Alhaji answered from inside. Now I could almost hear the sound of my heartbeat. I breath a sigh and walked in. Alhaji is sitting on the bed with his laptop in front of him. This is not the best time to talk to him and now I'm fidgeting to the extent I could almost hear my thundering pulse.

"What are you doing here?". He asked without lifting up his head to look at me. I mean I used to be all Alhaji ever wanted and now he's treating me this way?.

"I was wondering if I could talk to you about something". I managed to say and sat on the bed.

" sure, what is it about?". He asked putting away the laptop he was working on.

"It's about us, Alhaji you are getting me all wrong". I began and then I paused knowing this is not the way to start the conversation.

"I'm listening" he said and raised his eyebrows. I don't even know where to start from. Suddenly, I burst into tears. This gave me the opportunity to captivate Alhaji's mind. He's an easy-going person and he just sat there staring at me with keen interest as I innocently narrated all that had happened to him.

"Innalillahi wa Inna ilayhi raji'un". Alhaji gasped and covered his mouth with both hands. "Why didn't you tell me all this time?".

"Alhaji, I tried several times to tell you but you didn't give me the chance. That was how I lost our babyyyy_yyyyy. How can I forget how it feels to be pregnant and abort my own child?" I cried out in frustration. Now Alhaji is staring blankly.

"I know you__" I continued. Sniffing, I narrated everything to him. "Alhaji you are just like a father to me, and I'll never do such a thing to my father. I'm your darling wife Zahra and I want us to put our heads together and put whoever is doing this to us behind bars.

"Look Zahra I'm very sorry for not believing you,i_i_i" he stuttered. " You know what,it's okay" . He paused. "Stop crying my dear". He said and pulled me into a hug. That was when I realized I'm wearing a too transparent slip and petty coat. Now I feel a little uncomfortable.

"It's okay, I don't want to see you cry ever again". He said and used his palm to wipe the tears off my cheek. I smiled, I feel relaxed and relieved of the burden I've been carrying for a long time now. I smiled a little and placed my head on his chest. I could hear his pounding heartbeat.

The sudden sound of approaching footsteps was almost an intrusion. The door was opened and hajiya was standing by the door. She's wearing a long green hijabi and holding a tray with two mugs on it.

"What is happening here?". She yelled furiously.

I lifted my eyebrows in surprise. What is supposed to be happening. Or don't I have the right to be in my husband's room. I thought to myself.

"What are you doing here!" She looks at me pointedly. I felt baffled and more than a bit dazed by hajiya's reaction.

"Woman! Thank you for the coffee, you may leave now". Alhaji interfered with a serious face.