Forty

"Calum, Calum!" He startles, having doses off against the window. They'd been here hours, a whole day even, things were moving, but incredibly slowly.

"What's wrong, Skye?" He mumbles, digging his fingers into his eyes to rid them of sleep.

"It's time." She smiles, "She's finally ready, thirty hours later."

"We get to have our baby now?" He grins, stretching out as he moves to her side.

"They went to call Dr. Tanner and they'll be back to set up the room, I'm at a ten." She nods, exhaustion evident in her eyes despite the epidural she'd insisted on after six hours without. Her body is working ridiculously hard, even if she isn't feeling it.

Catching Skye off guard Calum turns his head, lifting the bottom of her hospital gown to uncover her stomach, pulling the blanket up to keep her decent if anyone were to walk past while the door was open.

"It's time, baby girl, make this part easy on mama, okay? Every other part has been hard, but let's cross the finish line easily and quickly. Dada and mommy are so excited to meet you, princess. I love you so much." He whispers into her skin, pressing a couple kisses to her swollen stomach before standing back up and looking down at her while lacing his fingers through hers.

"I'm here to do whatever you need me to do. I am your rock, okay?"

"I know." She smiles, "I love you, Calum."

"I love you too, baby mama." He grins, lowering himself to decorate her face in kisses before leaving a long one on her lips, pulling back as the door is opened again.

"Who's ready to meet baby Hood." The nurse grins. Her name is Stephanie, she'd taken over the night shift for them both last night after their arrival and tonight, having seemed to be as disappointed as they were that they hadn't made it to the other side of things when she's come around about 8pm to start her rounds.

"Finally." Skye chuckles.

"I know, it's hard when we have to help you along like this, especially on the first pregnancy. Takes a minute for the body to accept what needs to happen and start helping instead of fighting. But, it is 11:02pm, July 6th, and I am confident we will have a baby before midnight." She grins, pulling supplies out of a cupboard as someone else pushes into the room with a scale cart.

"I feel like I should be pushing." Skye speaks up as the professionals move around the room to prep everything.

"You don't need to yet, it might be uncomfortable but wait just a moment so I can help you, okay? Your body is just slowly working her out on its own." Stephanie smiles kindly, pulling on a gown and being helped into some gloves.

"Is Doctor Tanner coming?" Calum asks as Stephanie pulls a rolling stool towards the end of the bed.

"He is on his way. We'll get started and he will be here before baby is." Stephanie nods as she drops the end of the bed, lifting the stirrups and placing Skye's ankles in each.

"Everything is looking good right now, Skye, baby is positioned perfectly, and things should be smooth sailing. As soon as you feel the urge you can try to push. Grab the back of your knees and bare down hard when it comes time. All your energy should be focused on pushing the baby out."

"I can feel another one coming." Skye nods, shifting slightly to grab the back of her thighs, taking a couple breathes before the overwhelming need to push hits. Her face scrunches as she focuses her energy, trying to keep her breathing as steady as possible.

"Good, very good, Skye." Stephanie encourages as she does. Calum reaching out a hand to rub over Skye's shoulders feeling helpless in the moment.

"Relax." Stephanie smiles up at her as she falls back against the mattress softly. "That was great, can you feel where my finger is though?" Skye nods, still trying to catch her breath. "Really try to focus on pushing that spot, it will help even more. Does that make sense?"