Chapter Fourty-Four

~Dan~

The cafeteria was noisy and full to the brim with teenagers, as usual. I mean, it probably wasn't as bad as public schools with hundreds of pupils, but this particular bunch of people had a lot of... character, lets say. 

I tended to avoid this place in general, but today Phil and I wanted to hang out with Pj to cheer him up. Witnessing Tom's death had been horrible for him; he'd given up on the short movie we'd been working hard on, and I hadn't seen him put pen to paper since it happened, which was a worry. He was one of my best friends, and one of the strongest people I had ever encountered, so seeing him this way was a shock, and not a welcome one.

The stilted conversation at our table was abruptly interrupted when the whole room fell silent. I glanced curiously over Phil's shoulder to inspect the situation; there wasn't a lot that could shut this lot up. 

Zoe Sugg, the pretty, kind British girl that everybody knew of, was standing tall on an empty table top, waiting for all eyes to fall on her. She coughed quietly to gain the attention of the few that still hadn't noticed her, and then crossed her arms nervously. It must have been intimidating to have all of us staring up at her like that. I noticed Troye Mellet standing beside the table, gesturing encouragingly for her to speak up.

"Okay," she began, letting out a breath and smiling at everybody, "Sorry to interrupt your lunch, but this is kind of important. I'm sure you are all concerned about the recent deaths in this school, so myself and a few friends are doing all we can to get to the bottom of it. We have some theories, but they are classified - if any of you have been experiencing any strange things lately, please follow Troye and I now. We'll wait outside the canteen for you."

Zoe finished her little speech with a small wave of her hand, and then climbed carefully down from the table, gesturing for Troye to follow her out of the room.

I felt a kick under the table, and glanced back at Phil to see what he wanted. 

"Shouldn't you go?" he reminded me; blackouts and sudden personality changes were weird, right?

I told Phil and Pj to meet me in the common room later on, and darted out of the cafeteria, praying that Zoe and Troye were still there. To my relief, they were; Alfie had joined them. I really just wanted to get to the bottom of this mess.

They all smiled at me, and we waited for a few minutes to see if anybody else would follow. It seemed, however, that we were the final group. 

Zoe and Troye led us out of the building and across the courtyard. Thankfully, I had no lessons that afternoon. In fact, it was worrying how little we actually learnt at this school, in between eating, sleeping, messing around, and getting killed.

We entered the building that nobody really knew the purpose of; it was just a plethora of extra rooms. 

The climb up the stairs was excruciating. I, being an extremely unfit human, was in no way prepared to travel to the top of this building; the pain was intensely real. 

Our destination appeared to be the girl's toilets, the pain flaking and cobwebs scattered across the ceiling from lack of use. 

There were a few seconds of silence before Zoe spoke up. 

"Alfie? What has happened with you?"

"Nothing," he admitted, shamefaced, "I just thought you'd need some moral support besides Troye. You're obviously really serious  about this."

Zoe smiled softly and fondly at Alfie, and turned to me.

"And you, Dan? Tell me all about it."

I bit my lip; where did I begin?

A/N

Hello! I actually updated on the right day, what even

Im feeling quite productive, so yes.

Prepare your feels for my Emma chapter...

~Georgina <3

Find me:

Twitter: ThisIsGeorgieXo

Tumblr: sugarcanellamas

Instagram: assemblingphilosophies

Personal Wattpad: ThisIsGeorgieXo