Prologue

Mistlekit felt her paws hit the ground, feeling the snapping jaws of the badger behind her. Her siblings screeched in fear as the black and white animal chased after them, it's eyes glittered for prey. Mistlekit thundered through the forest as fast as she could, Pinekit and Lightkit by her side. Her mind whirled, what would they do?

Mistlekit tumbled to the ground, she felt her pelt turn muddy and soaked and she let out a wail. Why did they leave camp? She scrambled up, spitting mud behind her. Hopefully that would blind the badger's eyes.

Where did Hopkit go? She suddenly saw her mother, Foxclaw, her green eyes were shocked and her ginger pelt ruffled. Mistlekit ran under her belly, where her littermates were hiding. Suddenly something grasped her scruff, Goldentail! Foxclaw's mother picked her up and ran to camp.

Mistlekit wriggled, she had to see Foxclaw! She squirmed, looking for Hopkit. Where had he gone to? They wriggled inside camp, entering the nursery. Goldentail laid the kits down, giving them raspy licks.

Mistlekit ducked from Goldentail's tongue. She let out a wail, she needed to see her mother! Foxclaw would never abandon them, would she? Mistlekit lashed her tail, she ran over to the entrance where rain pattered down quicker than a cat could say 'mouse'.

"I want to see Foxclaw!" Mistlekit wailed, feeling like she would make the forest shake.

Goldentail pulled her back, her green eyes glittered with worry, but the red she-cat shook her head. "She'll come." she meowed softly. "Just wait little kit, just wait."