Chapter 5

Mistlepaw was sharing tongues with Lilypaw on the SharingRocks. She was looking at Goldentail who was stretching beside the fresh-kill pile. Icefrost was beside her, her stomach swollen and red with kits.

How many more mouths to feed? "What's wrong?" Lilypaw's mew startled Mistlepaw.

"Huh? Oh nothing." Mistlepaw forced herself to let out a purr, she took a piece out of a rabbit they were sharing.

Lilypaw narrowed her eyes, she continued eating the rabbit. Duskfall was padding outside of the warriors' den, his blue eyes tired. They dark gray tom looked up on the SharingRocks.

"Mistlepaw, do you want to battle train?" he asked.

Lilypaw nudged her. "Go!"

Mistlepaw sighed, she took one last mouthful of the rabbit and jumped down. She followed her mentor outside of camp, reaching the Training Trees, and Mistlepaw felt as if her paws didn't work anymore.

She stumbled onto her knees. "Mistlepaw?" Duskfall sank his teeth into Mistlepaw's scruff and dragged her all the way up the slope to the Training Trees, he dropped her down on the sandy ground. "Are you okay? We can always head back—"

"No!" Mistlepaw insisted.

Duskfall narrowed his eyes. "Fine, try to knock me down."

Mistlepaw looked at the dark gray warrior, he steadied himself on the sand. I can distract by running over to him, then turning around and pushing him with my shoulder.

Mistlepaw leaped up, running at one side of him. Duskfall looked around anxiously, before he could attack, Mistlepaw flipped over to one side and pushed him with her shoulder. Duskfall fell on the floor, scrambling up.

"Very good." he mewed.

Yes, thank you. Mistlepaw lifted her head bravely. "Now try to attack me."

Mistlepaw nodded, she pounced one Duskfall making him tumbled down. When he fell down, Mistlepaw batted his face with many blows.

She jumped back as Duskfall stood up. "You're a natural," he purred.

Mistlepaw felt the wind buffeting her fur as she charged up the slope to CloudClan. Her paws felt numb and tired from all the battle training, the trees swayed as Duskfall wove in between them. Mistlepaw could see the gorse entrance nearby, her heart thumped.

There were unfamiliar scents now, she was by BreezeClan. The river thundered like hail dropping from the sky. There were cats everywhere, blood spilled and their teeth bared. Mistlepaw was in the middle, they poked her but she was a ghost, they didn't feel her at all.

Her eyes grew wide as she noticed Foxclaw. Her ginger fur stained with blood, along with her white chest. Mistlepaw scrambled over to her mother, she touched her flank with her tail tip, hoping that she would see her. Foxclaw didn't even look.

Suddenly another patrol came scampering over to them, Featherheart! The brown and white tom was leading another patrol. But his cats seemed angry and refused to help. Mistlepaw didn't hear what they were saying, the cat's yowls made her ears stop working.

Then a mottled brown tom came, he lunged over to Featherheart, but Foxclaw came in the way. The tom sunk his teeth inside Foxclaw's throat as she fell on the floor.

Wait . . . no! The tom was angry at Featherheart. Featherheart laid by Foxclaw, nuzzling her chest fur. Mistleheart laid by him, why did he care so much about her? Was he really their father?