Chapter 13

Mistlepaw squeezed past the group of talking cats, she had washed the blood from her from the stream so she didn't look suspicious. And she had a rabbit in her jaws.

She padded closer to Joysong's body, her eyes wide. "What happened?" she tried to sound surprised.

"Joysong is dead." Dovetuft replied. "He did nothing wrong!"

"Who could have killed him?" Mistlepaw asked, she struggled to sound as if she didn't know.

"I don't know!" Dovetuft wailed.

Her claws dug the ground angrily. "I'll miss him." she murmured.

Miss him? He was a pain in the tail for StarClan's sake! And you miss him? Mistlepaw stepped away, saying nothing, but keeping quiet.

At night, cats gathered around him like they did to Cornerear. Mosspelt did not come, instead she was watching them with Beechkit and Cedarkit sleeping on her paws.

Lightpaw had padded up to her, flakes of white snow stuck to her light ginger pelt. "You killed him."

"Shush!" Mistlepaw sitting peacefully below a tree, she looked around gulping down her sparrow then speaking t0 her sister. "I did it because he attacked me." she mewed. "How did you know?"

"It was obvious." Lightpaw purred, she turned around and came back with a black and ginger tuft of fur in her jaws. "See your fur."

Mistlepaw blinked. "He killed Hopkit." she snarled.

Lightpaw's eyes flickered with sorrow. "We don't speak about Hopkit." she murmured. "I miss him . . . ."

"I do too." Mistlepaw meowed. "And I needed to get revenge! Don't you see it's his fault? Maybe you're blind."

"I do see, Mistlepaw." Lightpaw mewed sadly. "But I think it's wrong." her sister turned around and disappeared.

Fine, be that way, you'll see!

Mistlepaw plucked the feathers from her blackbird, so many cats were dying now. Even though Icefrost was getting better, she was still weak. How can I fix this? She murmured.

Walking out of the apprentices' den, she went to visit the nursery. Icefrost was laying down, watching her kit—no Brightkit. They had given her a name and Icefrost was watching over her. Talonclaw had just entered, a soaked moss in his jaws.

"Is she already walking?" Talonclaw purred, pressing his muzzle on Icefrost's cheek.

"More like wobbling." Icefrost grunted.

Brightkit had wobbled over to Cedarkit, the bigger kit pushed her down and Brightkit fell, mewling.

Icefrost eyes grew wide with alarm, she grabbed Brightkit's scruff and pulled her closer to her stomach, trying to make her eat. Brightkit pulled away, trying to scamper back.

"She just wants to play." Mosspelt meowed. "Brightkit doesn't seem hungry."

"She will eat." Icefrost replied bitterly. "She hasn't eaten in all day."

Mistlepaw slid out the den, avoiding the bickering queens. There was nothing to do in camp, she had participated in dawn patrol, evening patrol, and a hunt patrol. Even though her paws still felt tired, she felt an itch to do something.

When she had entered the elders' den to change their bedding, Berryheart was only there. Good, now the task will be much easier. "Mistlepaw is that you? Come in."