Chapter 12

The bright round moon glowed in front of camp, the apprentices' den was warm and c-

ozy with all the cats here. Their pelts made Mistlepaw feel warm, she slept her tail coveri-

ng her icy nose.

A few shuffling in the darkness made Mistlepaw wake up, yawning she could see green eyes piercing in the darkness of the den. Lilypaw?—No Pinepaw!

Why was he out stirring so early, she could feel the crackles of leaves beneath his paws as he slid out of the den. Mistlepaw prodded Lightpaw awake.

"Wha—?" Lightpaw yawned. "Why'd you wake me up in the middle of the night?"

"Pinepaw woke up so early."

"He probably needs to go to the dirt place tunnel." Lightpaw meowed.

"He seems suspicious." Mistlepaw hissed. "Come on!"

Another batch of green eyes glowed in the darkness, this time it was Lilypaw. The silver tabby she-cat stood up, giving her pelt a shake.

"I'm coming too." Lilypaw demanded, Mistlepaw knew there was no way to convince her anyways.

"Er . . . sure." Mistlepaw meowed.

The three cats slid out, unnoticed. They saw Pinepaw squeezing out of the gorse tunnel. Suspicious, Mistlepaw murmured.

They followed them out, keeping an eye out for Joysong who was supposed to keep watch. But he was fast asleep.

"Come on!" she urged, running ahead and weaving through trees. They halted near CliffClan territory. Pinepaw stopped and sniffed the air, he didn't seem to notice them.

He began to walk towards their territory.

"No!" Mistlepaw wailed, she leaped out of the bushes, Pinepaw whipped around.

"Mistlepaw—!"

"Why are you going to CliffClan?" Lilypaw followed behind, along with Lightpaw.

Pinepaw bared his teeth, ignoring what they said. "You followed me!"

"For a good reason," Lilypaw pointed out hastily. "You want to live with them?"

For heartbeats, everything was silent. Pinepaw stared at the three apprentices, his teeth were still barred, but he uncurled his lips. A breeze drove through the forest, cold enough to make Mistlepaw shiver. Clouds were covering the bright moon, as if StarClan was angry with them.

A low murmur echoed in Mistlepaw's ear, Let him go, he gets to choose his own decision.Us StarClan cats won't mind. A StarClan cat had spoken to her! Hesitating,

Mistlepaw lifted her head. She padded closer to Pinepaw, her breath billowing his fur.

"Very well." she meowed. "Make your own decision Pinepaw, leave your Clan and not be loyal to it. Fight your old Clanmates in battles, but I won't stop you." she hesitated, her jaw was still hanging and she felt a lodge in her throat on what she just said.

"You're just going to let him go?" Lightpaw hissed.

She nodded. "I can't—" she felt her heart break. "Pinepaw, I'm begging you, please stay." her mind and completely changed, now she wanted her brother back. I'm sorry StarClan.

"No." Pinepaw stepped back, a growl in his throat. "You're no longer my Clanmates." he fixed his gaze on Lilypaw. "You're now my enemies. I make my own decision, I want to live with Featherheart." he turned back, padding to the grasslands. "We'll see each other in battles and Gatherings. But don't think I'm not going to hurt you badly."