Chapter 1

"You will be known as Riversplash!" Sunstar yowled, Mistlekit poked her head out of the nursery. Icefrost and Riversplash and got their warrior names, now the Clan was calling their new names out.

Mistlekit purred, she called their names as well. Glancing over to Mosspelt, who's belly was now heavy with Joysong's kits. "Can I please congratulate them?" she begged.

Mosspelt nodded. "Why not?"

Mistlekit wriggled out of the nursery. Her fur fluffed out, she thundered over to Icefrost and Riversplash who were speaking to Bumbletail. Bumbletail had moved to the elders' den, she had gotten more stiff and white hair grew on her ginger muzzle.

"Congratulations!" Mistlekit squeaked, stumbling her tongue on such a long word. "How's it like being a warrior now?"

Riversplash glanced at Icefrost, his blue eyes glittered with amusement. "Dunno, I was only a warrior for a heartbeat."

Bumbletail flicked Mistlekit's ear with her tail. "You can speak to them about it later, Mistlekit. Right now it's getting dark and you need to nap soon."

Mistlekit's fur prickled with frustration, if she was an apprentice she would have been awake for a long time. But she did feel kind of tired, and didn't hesitate to let out a yawn. Goldentail appeared from the shadows, a mouse in her jaw.

"Mistlekit!" Goldentail mumbled through the mouse, she dropped it down and licked her whisker. "Why are you up?"

Mistlekit dug the ground, it was like every cat expected her to be asleep by now. Lightkit and Pinekit had slept through the day, and Mistlekit had to play with Lilypaw and Smokepaw who were now apprentices. It wasn't fair, why couldn't she be apprenticed too?

"I'm on it!" she grumbled, stomping over to the nursery. Bramblenose was the deputy for now until Mosspelt was ready to come back. She squeezed inside the nursery, her tail lashed.

Lightkit and Pinekit were fast asleep, their breath rising and falling at the same time. Mistlekit wriggled beside her littermates, she looked at Goldentail who entered the den, laying down besides them. Mistlekit closed her eyes, she missed her mother so much, her milky scents that she carried as well. Goldentail began to lap their fur, Mistlekit didn't argue. She was too tired to even close her eyes, she stared off into the darkness for a while, then closed her eyes.

"Wake up Mistlekit!" Mistlekit opened her eyes, Lightkit was tugging on her ear while Pinekit tugged the other.

Mistlekit pushed them off her, she shook her pelt. "Why?" she yawned, tiredness filled her small body. "Is it our apprentice ceremony yet?"

Her littermates shook their heads. Mistlekit cocked her head to one side, what a good time to wake her up! "I'm too tired!" she groaned, flopping on the moss.

Mosspelt squeezed inside the nursery, her green eyes glittered with amusement, "That's what happens when you don't rest like Lightkit and Pinekit did yesterday." she purred.

Mistlekit lifted her head up, how dare she say that! "Well I wasn't tired!" she growled. "I'll prove it to you, let's see the apprentices."

Pinekit flinched, Mistlekit could tell that he was worried. "Okay then, if you insist."

Mistlekit curled her lip back. "I do insist." she stomped out of the nursery.

Mistlekit saw cats sharing tongues outside, the warmness of greenleaf felt good. Even Mistlekit could flop down and sleep on the ground, Lightkit nudged her, she beckoned her tail to the apprentices' den.