Chapter 11

More coughs erupted from clearing, now one shot in her ear. Smokepaw was sitting in his bedding, hacking and coughing. Mistlepaw had told Lightpaw and Pinepaw everything about her dream, they didn't seem surprised, only questioning.

"You should go to Fernleaf." Lilypaw kept telling him.

Smokepaw opened his jaw to protest, but only more coughs came out. "I'm fine." he insisted. "We shouldn't bother them, they already have Cornerear, Beechkit, and Icefrost to worry about."

"And Berryheart." Lilypaw added. "But that doesn't mean they can't help you." she turned around. "I'll fetch her."

"Fine!" Smokepaw squeezed out of the apprentices' den, looking for Fernleaf or Hollypool.

Mistlepaw raced behind him, her eyes narrowed. "I'll help."

Fernleaf had already appeared from the Medicine cats' den. "Mistlepaw! Could you see if any of the shoots had grown?" she asked.

"I can try." Mistlepaw shrugged. "Also Smokepaw's sick."

"Another cat!" Hollypool groaned. "And we don't have any catmint."

Mistlepaw dropped her tail, a bit sad that the cats were so sick and they didn't have much to help them with.

Out of camp now, Mistlepaw dove into the undergrowth where she last saw the shoots of tansy. She looked for the bush and found that some of the shoots were trampled on.

Mouse-dung! Mistlepaw gasped, the scent of badger lingered in the air. Clumsy badgers! She picked out the shoots that were not trampled and were growing much now. She could see a few buds of its flowers appearing.

She found a scent of catmint nearby, shaking her head she followed the scent and found another patch. Yes!

She bit the stems of the catmint, grabbing the tansy as well and hauled it back to camp

She brought it directly to Hollypool.

"I found catmint as well." she reported.

"That's great. Bring it to Fernleaf."

Mistlepaw raced off to Fernleaf. The tabby medicine cat shot a tired look at her as she pushed in. "What now? You're sick too?" she yawned.

She spat on the herbs, Fernleaf's eyes widened but the tiredness still gripped in. "Great StarClan, it's so little!" she muttered. "Thank you, Mistlepaw."

"So little isn't it enough?" Mistlepaw snarled softly.

"I wish," she gave Cornerear some stems of the catmint, the brown tabby warrior swall-

owed stubbornly. Then she gave some to Icefrost and Berryheart, but when she was going to give some to Smokepaw it was finished.

"It's fine, I don't need it." he croaked.

"No!" Fernleaf snapped. "I won't let any cat die!" she whipped around and picked up a bit of tansy.

Smokepaw bit down and swallowed it, he coughed a bit. Icefrost shook her head, then was interrupted by some coughs.

"Go sleep everyone!" Hollypool meowed through gritted teeth. "You need energy to fight off the sickness."

Mistlepaw turned around, leaving the crowd then. She felt Beechkit tiny claw prick her tail as she emerged out. The tiny dark brown she-kit was about to speak, but some high-pitched coughs were coming out. Mosspelt raced out of the nursery, her eyes looking for her kit.