Chapter 18

And yet again, it was the gathering. Cats gathered around the gorse tunnel, waiting for Sunstar to come with her deputy Mosspelt, and Fernleaf. Hollypool said that she would stay and take care of Beechpaw.

Meows of the cats rose into hush murmurs, Sunstar nodded and led the Clan outside. Mistleheart plunged outside the camp, her fur neatly groomed this time. She didn't want to look like a fool in front of all the cats of Clan.

Even though she seemed okay, she was not. Every cat was still suspicious of her turning crazy, Lightspark had protected her, but Mistleheart showed no emotions. She wished StarClan could tell her answers, but the 0nly thing she got was dreams of running and chasing butterflies.

They scrambled on top of the fallen tree, Mistleheart felt the leaf she was holding in her jaw for Pinefrost flutter. Her heart thumped with terror if the leaf would fall and disappear into the dark shadowy forest.

She crawled carefully on the tree, her heart still racing. When she jumped down, her fur was bristling. She forced herself to relax, letting the fur lay down on her shoulders. Mistleheart continued the journey, she wove through the bushes. This time Lilyheart did not come, Mistleheart was glad she didn't because she didn't want Lightspark and Lilyheart at the tip of her tail.

They soon came across the bushes that led to the hidden Pine Trees. Sunstar beckoned her head so the cats would go inside. Mistleheart's teeth sinked into the leaf, she only made a dent, but was close to making a hole with her fangs.

The scents of the leaf swirled inside her nose, blocking out the smell of the other Clan cats. She saw Lightspark open her jaw. "Over here." meowed Lightspark, Mistleheart followed Lightspark through the crowded clearing of cats.

In the distance, Pinefrost was there. Along with a she-cat, her sleek light silver pelt glowed. Lightspark pressed herself onto Mistleheart. "He loves a cat for sure." there was a tinge of laughter in her voice.

As they approached, Mistleheart grunted. She dropped the leaf down. "Here Foxclaw each gave us—er—hidden this until we were ready." she nuzzled the leaf. "For you." her ears twitched.

Pinefrost looked at her thoughtfully, changing the subject he mewed. "This is Blueleaf.

You met her before."

Blueleaf shifted on her paws, her green eyes wide with embarrassment. "Hi." she mewed shyly.

Pinefrost leaned closer and gave Blueleaf a quick lick around her ear, a purr of amusement rumbled in his throat. Mistleheart flexed her claws on the dusty ground, she growled still kneading the ground.

"Do you mind if I go to Quillflight?" asked Lightspark.

"Not at all."

She stared at her but Mistleheart beckoned her tail so she would go. Hesitating, she disappeared through the swarm of cats. Pinefrost's tongue swiped against his lips. "See you Mistleheart." he mewed, disappearing with Blueleaf by his side.

Mistleheart grumbled, she padded away. She saw Thorntail trotting in the clearing, maybe he would chat to her, as soon as she got near, Thorntail stepped back and quickly spoke to a cat that was standing beside him. The white tom with black paws beside him nodded quickly. He eyed Mistleheart.

The tom looked at Mistleheart as if she was prey, Mistleheart scrambled back. Her paw-

s skittering on the loose grit and soil. Mistleheart flattened her ears in embarrassment and padded away. Coralstar scrambled onto the rock, the white's tom muscles rippled under his skin. Mistleheart remembered the last leaf-bare and how skinny the BreezeClan leader was, now he was fit as a fox.