Chapter 3

Mistlepaw felt Pinepaw thrashing her flank as she slept. The sky was dark blue and stars flickered, the sun was milky and it made Mistlepaw feel like she was in the nursery again. Gazing at the apprentices' den entrance, she saw midnight patrol enter. Lilypaw scrambling inside the den and closing her eyes to sleep.

Mistlepaw lifted her muzzle, licking a moss off from her chest fur. "Hey!" she hissed.

Lilypaw opened her eyes. "Can't sleep?"

Mistlepaw nodded, Pinepaw was so fidgety that she couldn't even close her eyes.

"Yeah, do you know why every cat hates Joysong?"

Lilypaw closed her eyes. "Sometimes it's best that you don't know."

"But I want to know!" Mistlepaw urged.

Lilypaw rested on her flank. "I dunno, I was a kit when it happened."

"What?"

"Well . . . Foxclaw got you back to the nursery. And Joysong had entered, I was wide awake. And Foxclaw told him to leave, so he refused and Foxclaw gave him the scar on his eye."

"What did Joysong do to her?"

Lilypaw shrugged, she closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep again. Mistlepaw's paws prickled in frustration. She urged herself to sleep again.

The chilly air of leaf-fall was coming, Mistlepaw slipped out of the apprentices' den where she was sharing tongues with Lilypaw. Mosspelt's kits were born, and they were named Cedarkit and Beechkit.

Mistlepaw flicked her way over to Joysong who was licking his pelt clean. He didn't even visit his new kits once, and he didn't seem to care for them when Mosspelt told him to take care of them when she went with Bumbletail to the forest.

Mistlepaw's pelt prickled, what kind of father was he? She sat down at Joysong's paws. The brown tabby tom lifted his head, confused.

She cocked her head, Joysong stopped grooming himself. Mistlepaw gave up frustrated. "Well what are we going to do?"

"Huh?"

Useless lump of fur! "Are you taking me training?" she snapped.

Joysong didn't flinch, instead he kept a steady gaze at her. "Sure." he meowed after a few heartbeats.

Mistlepaw felt like thousands of ants were crawling on her. Okay tell me when you get bees out of your brain! Mistlepaw padded away. Joysong scrambled behind her.

"I think we should hunt." Mistlepaw mewed.

Joysong nodded, she wriggled out of camp into the forest. The leaves were turning orange but green patches on them still stayed, Mistlepaw felt leaves crackling under her paws as she pelted through the bramble thicket, keeping a distance away from the river.

Joysong pelted behind her, his tongue lolling like a dog chasing a rabbit. Mistlepaw crouched down, signaling at Joysong that this was her prey. She crawled into the undergrowth, seeing that a squirrel was biting a nut.

Mistlepaw crept closer, cracking a twig. The squirrel stood there like a feather-brain for a few heartbeats, then prepared to leave. Mistlepaw took this as her chance to strike, she fled out of the grass. Her teeth bared.

The squirrel scrambled over to a tree, Mistlepaw chasing after it. She clawed her way up the tree, hoping on branches and branches. The squirrel stopped at the top branch, gnawing the nut again.