Chapter 20

Mistleheart looked at Lightspark who was grooming her light ginger fur, she didn't see-

m busy and the den was empty, so maybe she could speak with her?

She opened her jaw to speak, but nothing came out. Lightspark's ears angled to the entrance of the den. "What is it, Mistleheart?" her meow was hasty.

"May I speak with you?"

"Talk." meowed Lightspark. "But make it quick won't you? I promised Lilyheart we wou-

ld hunt together today."

But that's what we used to do! A fire of jealousy burned in Mistleheart, she took a deep breath. "I'm going to the Moonpool to speak with StarClan." Lightspark stopped cleaning herself in mid-groom. Her eyes grew wide.

"Are you a mouse-brain?" she spat, astonished. "That's only for leaders and medicine cats! StarClan will punish you if you even try!"

Shaking her head, Mistleheart stepped back. "No they won't, I'll make sure of it." her head lifted. "I will speak to them. Either you like it . . . or not."

Quickly, she took off. A yowl sprang from Lightspark as she tried to grab Mistleheart in her outstretched claws, Mistleheart leaned back, dodging Lightspark's paws.

She slid under the gorse tunnel, panting. Lightspark was still at her tail, making Mistleheart worried she wouldn't be able to go to the Thunderpath and cross it to the lake side. Another yowl rippled through the forest, Pinefrost! Her brother scrambled from the bushes.

Mistleheart saw the moor, she ran to it. Her fur pricked as she saw bundles of Twolegs and dogs there. This meant she had to cross the Thunderpath. Her heart raced, once she got near. She scrambled to a stop, the hot ground of the Thunderpath made Mistleheart's paws burn. She ignored it, her lips curled back to a snarl.

"If you care so much? Why not go with me?" she yowled.

"Mistleheart get off the Thunderpath!" Pinefrost spat, he slid as he halted to a stop. "A monster can come any time and run you over!" Mistleheart ignored Pinefrost.

Lightspark's ears flattened. "Get off! Just come home!"

"Don't you understand? I need to do this! You're interrupting everything!" Anger swelle-

d inside Mistleheart.

"Fine! We'll go with you! Get off the Thunderpath before a monster comes!" And how do I know you'll come? She wanted to yowl at her. Before she could speak again, a monster roared. The white lights flickered, making Mistleheart dizzy. She saw Lightspark running up, ready to throw Mistleheart out of the way. But Pinefrost growl stopped her, he clenched his jaws firmly in Lightspark's scruff, making her spit and scramble everywhere.

Mistleheart's heart raced, she glanced back at the monster, as it grew nearer and nearer.

Something hit her, an aching so painful. She could see blood swinging in all directions, her vision turned into a blur. Mistleheart felt confused, what was happening? She choked, a red liquidy thing grew in her mouth. It's salty taste made Mistleheart sick. Suddenly she felt as if her bones didn't work, she fell down to the floor with a hard thump. The monster roared away, not stopping. Mistleheart heaved for air, but nothing helped her . . . everything turned into blank darkness.