Chapter 15

"A dog? Loose in the forest?" two blue glowing eyes were in a corner of the leaders' den. Sunstar was sitting up, looking like a dark shadow. She was tearing the moss beneath her as if what the two warriors had said was fake. "You must be kidding me." she snarled, her fur bristling. "More troubles?"

Sunstar's fur was ruffled from sleep, the milky pale light was rising along with the sun. Mosspelt sat besides her, looking thoughtful, but the brown she-cat did not say anything.

"I have a feeling the dog killed Joysong." she meowed, Mistleheart could tell that she still loved him. Even though she had not sat vigil, a glow of love was in her green gaze.

"We didn't see any dog fur." Lightspark mewed, she shot a warning glance at her sister,

Mistleheart gave her pelt a shake. Her sister's amber eyes was like if she had just bit her

nose.

Sunstar wove her tail, she shook her head. "I don't believe that a dog would have killed Joysong." she mewed bitterly. "The gash on his lower throat seemed too small for a dog." she cocked her head to Mosspelt. "Don't you think?"

Mosspelt kneaded the ground beneath her, her green eyes were now worried and not as sure as before. "I don't know, Sunstar. Anyways, Dovetuft did smell a whiff of a cat."

Mistleheart's fur bristled. "What about the dog running loose in our forest?" she hissed.

"You did say it ran to CliffClan."

"It might have changed it's mind." Lightspark mewed, Lilyheart gave her a brisk nod. "If you guys did see it take your prey—"

"We didn't." Mistleheart blurted out. "We heard it, found it's dung, and smelled it."

Lilyheart nodded, Sunstar looked thoughtful now. "I'll see what I can do, Mosspelt make sure there are more cats in patrols, won't you?"

Mosspelt nodded and set off, Mistleheart scrambled down the leaders' den back to the clearing. Lightspark pressed her nose on Mistleheart's flank, her amber eyes were now warm.

"Why can't we tell them you killed Joysong?" she murmured.

"No—no! Never." Mistleheart stepped back, alarmed. "If you do, I'll be so angry with you. My own sister, getting me in trouble. Possibly exile." a snarl crept into her voice. "If you do I'll get revenge." she set off, she wished she could gulp her troubles away like a prey stuck in her throat.

"Will you come to the Gathering, Mistleheart?" Mosspelt's soft mew was heard outside of the warriors' den, Mistleheart pressed her muzzle inside the moss.

A few days ago she had gotten mad at Lightspark and now there were more traces of a dog in the forest. Mistleheart's heart ached to go, as well as her muscles. She wasn't really useful to the Clan these days and she could tell some cats were suspicious.

That's worse than being exiled, maybe I should go . . . she staggered up, giving her pelt shake. She padded outside, her fur it knots and ungroomed. Lightspark's fur was groom and seemed completely different than hers.

She pressed herself closer to the ground as she could near, Lightspark's eyes were wide with alarm. "Great StarClan, Mistleheart!" she gasped. "Your fur is a mess." she started to lap it quickly, her eyes still wide. Soon she had groomed it and the knots were untangled but her fur looked curly where the knots were.

Lilyheart crept over to Mistleheart, her green eyes glowing sympathetically. "Mistleheart, are you sure you're fit to go?" she mewed, her soft breath billowing her ear.