Chapter 2

Mistlekit glanced at Duskfall, Dovetuft, and Talonclaw. They had turned into warriors now, and Mistlekit was itching to go meet them. Lightkit and Pinekit watched beside her, Mistlekit glanced behind over Goldentail. The red she-cat nodded, and Mistlekit scrambled out of the nursery.

Duskfall fluffed his chest out proudly, Dovetuft nipped his ear and Talonclaw just purred. Mistlekit climbed Duskfall's back and tugged on his ear, Duskfall fell down. Thrashing his paws in the air.

"Ow she got me!" he whined.

Mistlekit kept on tugging, Lightkit squeezed over to Dovetuft. "I hope you're my mentor." she mewed.

Dovetuft leaned closer. "I'll make sure I am." she whispered, blinking.

Pinekit begged Talonclaw to show him a move, Mistlekit let Duskfall go from her grip. The huge dark gray tom scampered away. "Who knew kits had some thorn sharp claws!"

Mistlekit gave her chest a few licks, Sunstar hopped down the MeetingBoulder. She had whispered in Dovetuft's ear. If Lightkit is getting Dovetuft as her mentor, then I want Duskfall as mine!

Pinekit lifted her muzzle, he crouched down and leaped on top of Mistlekit. The two kits wrestled until they got worn out.

"Did you like my move?"

Mistlekit shook her head. "Nope cause I couldn't see anything."

Duskfall purred, the three cats padded over to the camp entrance and Mistlekit felt sad. She wanted to speak to them until she got tired! Goldentail grabbed Mistlekit by her scruff. "You'll speak to them soon." she promised.

Mistlekit slept in the darkness of the nursery, her green eyes glowed. She couldn't sleep! She stood up, careful not to wake any cat. Padding over to the warriors' den, just like a snake.

She squeezed inside the bramble entrance. Ignoring the thorns that dug her pelt, lifting her muzzle. She smelled Duskfall, his breath slowly rising and falling.

Mistlekit prodded the dark gray warrior until he woke up.

Duskfall opened his eyes, squinting in the darkness. "Mistlekit is that you?" he whispered.

Mistlekit pressed herself against him. "It's me." she whispered back.

Duskfall pulled her away. "It's midnight, what do you want?"

"Can you please be my mentor?" she begged.

Duskfall shook his head. "I can't promise that, it's Sunstar's choice."

Mistlekit flattened her ears. "How is Dovetuft going to be Lightkit's mentor?"

Duskfall cocked his head. "What do you mean?"

"Didn't Sunstar tell Dovetuft she was going to be her mentor?"

"Did you hear them say it?" Duskfall countered.

Mistlekit shrugged. "I guessed, she was looking at Lightkit."

Duskfall flattened his ears. "It could mean anything, now go back to the nursery and let cats sleep!"

Mistlekit glanced at Sunstar, it was their day! Her littermates were becoming apprentices as well as her!

She pressed on her siblings who were gazing at Sunstar. Goldentail leaned closer, grooming their pelts. Mistlekit didn't argue, she had to look her best anyways.

"All cats old enough to catch their own prey gather here beneath the MeetingBoulder for a Clan meeting!" the ginger tabby yowled, most of the cats were already here. But the elders poked their head out of the elders' den. "Today three kits have turned six moons old! It is time that they are apprentices, Lightkit! Do you promise to uphold the warrior code and protect your Clan at all cost?"