Chapter 17

Mistleheart pressed the last of the brambles to the warriors' den. Cedarpaw had squeezed out of the medicine cats den. Quickly, Mistleheart raced over to him.

"How is Beechpaw?"

"Terrible." Cedarpaw mewed.

After he left, Mistleheart entered. She saw Beechpaw sitting up, gasping with horror. She had scars everywhere, her leg, her paws, one of her ears were torned and there were much more scars. The good thing was that they healed, the pink skin was the only thing that could be seen. Mosspelt sat beside her, lapping one of her terribly torn ears.

"I look hideous." Beechpaw wailed.

Mistleheart pressed her nose to Beechpaw's shoulder where a huge scar was where the dog had hit her on a tree. Mosspelt eyed Mistleheart, she said nothing, Mistleheart watched Fernleaf squeezed from the herb storings. The young medicine cat looked normal, happy that Beechpaw had not died.

"How is she?" Fernleaf blinked, at first she did not answer.

"Does she look okay to you?" Fernleaf muttered, she fed Beechpaw some poppy seeds. "Well?"

Mistleheart dropped her head down. "Very well . . ."

Fernleaf gave Mistleheart a brisk lick on her forehead. "Sometimes the answers are right in front of you." she murmured softly.

The young medicine cat squeezed out the den, soon came Hollypool with a few herbs in her jaws she dropped it down and gave her pelt a shake. The old medicine yawned, and glanced at Mistleheart who was sitting down on the dusty floor. "Are you sick?"

"Not as sick as a loose dog in the forest," Mistleheart replied cheerfully, she tried to sound like herself, but she knew Hollypool thought something was wrong. Hollypool eyed her and disappeared through the herb storages.

"Mistleheart you can leave now." Mosspelt murmured softly. "I can take care of Beechpaw."

"I know you can." Mistleheart mewed, "but I feel terrible that she almost died. how can I make it up to her?"

Beechpaw who was falling asleep, cozily beside her mother's flank murmured. "I forgive you, Mistleheart." she mewed.

The apprentice's voice seemed so weak and tired, she seemed better but was hurt terribly with scars. Mistleheart gave Mosspelt a brisk nod. At least Beechpaw and Cedarpaw weren't like their father Joysong.

She nodded her farewells to the cats and thundered to the fresh-kill pile.

Feeling a bit better about herself, she rested beside the fresh-kill pile and tossed a rabbit over to herself. She saw Lilyheart squeezing out of the warriors' den, Mistleheart called her over. At first Lilyheart seemed surprised, but she said nothing more and padded over to Mistleheart's side.

They both ate the rabbit until each morsel of it was gone. When they had finished, Lilyheart glanced at her. Her green eyes glowed with kindness.

"It's good to know you feel much better." she murmured softly, she stood up. "If you don't mind, I'm going to hunt."

Mistleheart scrambled onto her paws. "Can I come as well?" she asked.

Lilyheart stared at her. "Sure. I don't mind."

When they were stepping out, Lilyheart had stopped. The ivy tendrils shook, Mistlehe-

art stopped walking and stared at Lilyheart. Lilyheart's expression was unreadable, but Mistleheart knew something was wrong.