18

"What did you see?" Steve asked, eyes darting all over Tony to see if he missed an indication that something that happened to him.

"It's nothing, I'm fine" Tony shrugged, not wanting to bother Steve with his issues.

"It's not nothing, Tony. You were clawing at your neck like you couldn't breathe" Steve said sadly.

"I- I thought I saw a- a friend in one of the cars or whatever. Let's just forget it and watch the movie" Tony lied.

"Tony...I think this is happening because you're not sleeping properly" Steve was beginning to get more worried.

"I'm fine, Rogers. The movies about to start" Tony took a bite of his hotdog.

Steve sighed and turned back around. He pulled out his phone and texted Stephen.

STEVE:
Hey, you used to be a neurosurgeon right? Mind if I ask a few questions? It's for Tony

STEPHEN:
Sure, go ahead

STEVE:
He's been a lot more cold and snappy than usual, he's forgetful, and I think he's hallucinating somebody or something. He won't tell me, but I just know something's off. And he hasn't slept in over a week

STEPHEN:
Oh, yeah, it's the sleeping. Going so long without sleep can cause cognitive impairments, irritability, delusions, psychosis, and paranoia. I'm surprised he hasn't passed out by now?

STEVE:
I knew it. What should I do? He won't listen to me

STEPHEN:
How long has he gone without sleep?

STEVE:
8 or 9 days

STEPHEN:
Yeah, he'll probably pass out soon, so be prepared for that. If he doesn't, contact me again

STEVE:
Alright, thanks

The movie finished an hour or two later, and they were on their way back home. The car ride was silent, except for when Pepper called Tony to ask about something, and 'Just the two of us' by Grover Washington quietly playing.

The finally arrived home as Steve drove into the parking lot. Steve parked, turned the car off, and stepped out. "Tony, you need to sleep or you're going to pass out" Steve told Tony who was trudging to the elevator.

"You don't know that. I did sleep" Tony lied. He leaned against the wall since taking another step forward felt like it would make his body crumble to pieces. "I'm not gonna..." Tony slurred, leaning his back against the wall and then slowly sliding down. He felt like his brain was shutting down. Next thing you know, his body collapsed to the side, and just as Stephen told Steve, Tony passed out.

Steve scooped him up into his arms, and took the elevator to go to his floor. The the door to his room opened automatically, and Steve walked over to his bed. He lifted his covers and positioned his pillow before carefully placing Tony down. He pulled the covers over Tony's shoulders and then walked around the bed and laid down beside the genius.

"Sweet dreams, my love" Steve carded his fingers through Tony's locks.

§

Everybody was on the main floor. Everyone meaning Bucky, Sam, Clint, Steve, and Natasha. So it was a big surprise for everybody to see Tony join them rather than lock himself in his workshop. Steve guessed it was because he might've had some random burst of energy and contentness after getting a whole 17 hours of sleep. Tony passed out last night and didn't wake up til 2pm.