Between Scylla & Charybdis

Act II — Heart of the Ocean

Part IV — We've got the spirit, you've got to hear it; under the sea.

"You are in so much trouble," Clarisse told them the minute they stepped aboard. Her ship was an ironclad. A Civil War battle cruiser. And everywhere they looked dead Confederate sailors would stare at them. "Tantalus expelled you for eternity. Mr. D said if any of you show your face at camp again, he'll turn you into squirrels and run you over with his SUV."

"Really?" said Andy. "He drives a SUV? Never took him for the kind—"

"Did they give you this ship?" Anthony asked.

"Of course not. My father gave me the CSS Birmingham," Clarisse sneered. "You think her daddy is the only one with sea power? The spirits on the losing side of every war owe a tribute to Ares. That's their curse for being defeated."

"Clarisse," Anthony said. "Luke might be after the Fleece, too. We saw him. He's got spies inside the camp, so he probably has the coordinates and he's heading south. He has a cruise ship—"

"Good. I'll blow him out of the water."

"We need to combine forces. Let us help you."

"No!" She pounded the table, her eyes wild. "This is my quest! Finally I get to be the hero, and you two will not steal my chance."

"Did you come alone?" Andy asked.

"Yes," she admitted. "Nobody wanted to come and I didn't need them, anyway. All you need to know is that I'm finishing this quest and you are NOT helping. On the other hand, I can't let you go..."

"So we're your prisoners?" Anthony asked.

"Guests," Clarisse corrected. "For now. Until I think of something better to do with you two. Captain, take them below. Assign them hammocks on the berth deck. If they don't mind their manners, show them how we deal with enemy spies."

***

Two days later, they approached the entrance to the Sea of Monsters. Andy was on her way upstairs, when she heard voices coming from one of the rooms below deck. She froze.

"I don't want excuses, little girl."

"Y-yes, father," Clarisse mumbled.

"You don't want to see me mad, do you?"

"No, father."

"You're pathetic," Ares sneered. "I should've let one of my sons take this quest."

"I'll succeed!" Clarisse promised, her voice trembling. "I'll make you proud."

"I certainly doubt that," he said. "But you better try, girly. You asked me for this quest. If you let that slimeball Jackson kid steal it from you—"

"But the Oracle said—"

"I DON'T CARE WHAT IT SAID!" Ares bellowed with such force the ship trembled. "You will succeed! Do we understand each other?"

Andy met Anthony and Tyson on the spar deck. Clarisse came up the stairs right after her. "At last, Captain," she said. "Full steam ahead." The engine groaned as they increased speed.

Tyson muttered nervously, "Too much strain on the pistons. Not meant for deep water."

Ahead of them a storm was brewing. The sky and sea boiled together in a roaring mass.