The Last Olympian

Act V — Walking On Water

Part III — The wind is howling like this swirling storm inside. Couldn't keep it in; heaven knows I've tried.

They moved fast. In the dark, Andy felt only the cold and the reassurance of Nico's hand. The next minute, the shadows melted into a new scene. They were on a cliff in the woods of Connecticut. Down one side of the cliff, a highway cut through a ravine. Down the other side was someone's backyard. The house was huge; the yard even bigger.

Nico staggered and Andy held him to keep him from falling. Shadow traveling seemed to drain the life out of him. "I'm fine," he said, wincing from all that touching.

"How can you even do this?"

"Practice. Ran into a few walls. There were some accidental trips to China. But eventually, I got it."

"Do you need a nap? You look like you need a nap."

He grinned. Andy realized she was still holding him and stepped back. "I'm fine," he repeated. "The first time, I passed out for a week. Now it just makes me a little drowsy. Of course, taking someone else along... I won't be able to do it again for a while."

"Then we've got some quality time in Connecticut." Andy gazed at the house. "What now?"

Nico started forward. "We ring the doorbell."

***

Nico had barely tapped the door when it swung open. "Luke!" the woman cried happily. She looked like someone who enjoyed sticking her fingers in electrical sockets. Her white hair stuck out in tufts all over her head. When she smiled, her face looked unnaturally stretched, and the high-voltage light in her eyes made Andy wonder if she was blind. "Oh, my dear boy!" She hugged Nico. Then she turned to Andy and exclaimed, "Luke!" and hugged her as well. "Come in, come in," she asked. "I have your lunch ready!"

She ushered them inside.

"This way, my dear! Oh, I told them you would come back. That you'd come home to me. I knew it!" She sat them down at the kitchen table. Stacked on the counter were hundreds of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, most of them rotten. On top of the oven was a stack of burned cookie sheets.

Ms. Castellan started humming as she got out peanut butter and jelly and started making yet another sandwich. Something was burning in the oven. Andy fought the urge to run. Ms. Castellan kept smiling at her in a creepy way.

"Uh... Ms. Castellan?" Andy said.

"Mmmmm?"

"We need to ask you about your son."

Ms. Castellan glanced at Nico and patted his cheek affectionately. Judging by Death Boy's face, he wasn't enjoying any of that. "Oh, yes! They told me he would never come back. But I knew better."

"When... When did you last see him?"

Her eyes lost focus. "He was so young when he left," she said wistfully. "He said he'd be back for lunch. And I waited. He likes peanut butter sandwiches and cookies. He'll be back for lunch very soon..." Then she found Nico again and smiled. "Why, Luke, there you are! You look so handsome. You have your father's eyes." She looked up to the ceiling like she could see Hermes there. "There's a good man. Yes, indeed. He comes to visit me, you know."

Andy glanced at Nico pleadingly. "Ma'am," he said. "What, uh... what happened to your eyes?"

"Why, Luke, you know the story. It was right before you were born, wasn't it? I'd always been special, able to see through the... whatever-they-call-it."