Prologue

Elizabeth

It was one of the best parties I had ever planned yet I knew nearly no one there. Despite the fact our usual DJ couldn't be there I was enjoying it more than usual. The new DJ though played very good music that was easy to dance to although I was too embarrassed to dance. Since I was feeling skittish I decided to down some liquid courage. Just as I'm about to completely embarrass myself by being one of the only people dancing, Alex walks in. Alex has been my best friend ever since I can remember. My mom and her best friend were pregnant at the same time so we had no choice but to be together 24/7. Amelia called him my boyfriend, which always made things tense so when he's around we tend to avoid her.

"Hey, you!" Alex yells above the music.

I see in his hands he's carrying a gigantic bottle of champagne.

"Hey! What ya got there?" I say slightly concerned

"Oh, you know just a bottle of Champagne imported from Champagne, France!" He yells in excitement.

"That's how you know it's real," I respond through a laugh.

We both hate parties so without hesitation we headed upstairs. We both sit on my bed and begin to reminisce on all of the parties we'd had to clean up for the twins. As we converse I begin to see the authentic champagne bottle begin to drain as we continue to take turns chugging it down. Our conversation begins to slow and we lay back looking through the skylight above my bed.

"I have to tell you something," Alex mumbles

Before I can even answer I begin to hear my sister yelling downstairs and I know it can't be good.

"Umm just one sec. I think Amelia could use some help," I respond apologetically.

I run downstairs but by the time I get there all I see is her boyfriend Tore walking out the door with his head down. I look over to see Amelia sitting on the floor with a bottle of vodka and Gayle sitting next to his friend Alice. I sit next to them, but tipsy Gayle looks at me annoyed. Then Gayle and Alice get up and leave. I began to ask Amelia what was wrong but she had completely blacked out on the floor. I grab her favorite, big, red blanket, and cover her. Our whole house was doused in alcohol and covered in the trash but I had to fight the urge to clean because Alex was still upstairs. I ran up the stairs and into my room and realized that Alex had left. I felt confused and slightly guilty for making him wait.

"What did he have to tell me?" I think to myself

I grab my phone and text him but after an hour of no response, I give up and fall asleep.

Amelia

My head boomed with the loud sound of the speakers blaring yet another song I had never heard of. It also didn't help that I had consumed way more alcohol than I should have and the party had just started. I was taking another sip of my beer when my boyfriend Toure finally arrived.

"Hey! We are about to play beer pong, come on!" I yelled over the loud music.

I grabbed him by his arm and dragged him towards the kitchen where the others were waiting.

"Finally, we almost started without you guys," one of them yelled.

After about an hour of playing beer pong, my twin brother walked by giving me another one of his judgmental looks. But I decided to shrug it off this time, I didn't feel like starting a fight.

"YESSS! Hahaha, I won!" I yell as I chug another cup of beer down.

Toure starts talking to some of the other guys so I left to look for my mom-like older sister. Yet I was not able to find her at all. I mean I didn't look long maybe a minute or two before heading back to the beer pong table. She was probably with her "boyfriend" Alex somewhere making out or something, they've been friends ever since they came out of the womb since our parents were all close friends. So it wasn't like I didn't like the guy, it's just I can never find my sister when he is around.