Chapter 12- A Journey Resumed

Elizabeth

The snow began to compile on top of my eyelashes. It was freezing and I was extremely exhausted but we had a mission to complete. It was quite nice to have company during this journey though. I always disliked being alone but was too proud to admit it. We were on our way to Rushville and I had no idea how close we were because I'm terrible at reading maps. Luckily Alexander was quite intelligent in this area. Luckily Alexander read my mind.

"Just a little bit longer," He said.

I look at him and smile instead of responding because the snow had gotten to me. I tried to do breathing exercises as a form of meditation but I couldn't take myself seriously. I begin to laugh almost hysterically until Alexander can't help but join in.

"This whole situation is just so insane it's funny," I said, trying to explain my behavior.

"Who would have thought we would meet this way. Especially considering you were just my maid moments ago," He replies

At that moment I feel extremely detached from him and his world. I realize I'm not from here and he is. I realize what I have to do. Let him know the truth.

"Ugh Alexander?" I mumble

"Yes, Elizabeth," He replies mockingly

"I have to tell you something insane and you have to promise not to freak out."

"Okay?' He responds concerned

"I'm not from here and by not from here I mean not from this time."

I pause and look at him just to make sure he is following, but he looks tremendously confused. Alas, I continue in hopes that it will click.

"My brother, sister, and I essentially time traveled in the box from the future and now it's here and we have to find it so we can get back home."

He looks at the ground with his eyebrows scrunched in concern. I give him a minute to collect his thoughts.

"So what you're telling me is your time traveled, so you aren't a maid?" He asks in disbelief.

"Yes," I reply with hesitation

"And you have siblings that are here as well?" He asks

"Yes, and we have to meet them at Rochinsons point tomorrow to recuperate."

He begins to pace in circles like a mad man. I can understand feeling mad after hearing such news though.

"How do I know I can trust you?" He inquires

"You just have to, I guess," I reply nervously

"Alright," He says as he mounts his horse

Surprised, I mount my horse and smile feeling comforted, and a bit concerned, by his blind faith. After about half an hour in, we arrived at Rushville. It smelt of old fish and dusty rugs. It was one of the most unwelcoming towns I had ever visited. People seemed extremely unfriendly and looked at me with disgust. I was afraid and quite dismayed. Alas, we had a mission that I was determined to complete. Find that box.

Amelia

"Excuse me, captain, we have a situation with the sail," a young boy says, looking up at James.

The boy looked to be around five or six and I began to wonder why a boy so young was on the ship in the first place.

"What's the problem?" Jameson asks calmly.

"It is torn sir and none of the men can get to it because they'll break the mast."

"Let's go check it out."