Chapter 13- The Search Nears it's End

Elizabeth

Alexander led the way through the sludge-filled streets of Rushville. The rancid air made me want to puke but I knew if I held out a little longer we would make it through. My foot made a crunch when I took a step and when I lifted it there was a fish carcass, decomposing in the street.

"This is one of the poorest areas on the island," said Alexander, also holding his breath.

As we walked along further, I could see people up ahead sitting on the steps of their makeshift shacks, seemingly outside for the fresh air, making me wonder if it was worse indoors. We walked through the town to a stilt house. It wasn't by any means luxurious yet it looked incredible compared to the squalor of the rest of the town. It was positioned to be close to the lake, there was a small dock in front of it jutting out into the lake with a rowboat attached to it. The lake was a dirty dark blue. Almost blackish. There were fishing boats lined up on the shore with nets cast on the beach. Fishermen crouched around them collecting the small silver bait fish and throwing them in large wooden pails. The smell of sulfur began to rise when we got closer to the lake, explaining the horrid smell of the fishing village.

"The fastest way to Rochinson's point is across the lake. I think I can convince this guy to let us borrow a boat," Alex said as he pointed up to the stilt house.

We climbed the rudimentary stairs to the main deck of the house. There were small dead plants potted around on the patio. Heavy mud tracks lead from the deck down to the dock. We climbed the stairs slowly fearing that the creaking boards would collapse after seemingly years of abuse. Now on the deck, I could fully see the entire village. It looked nicer from above, though the mud streets were still visible.

"Look your best, this is the guy who runs this village," he said looking back at me from the door.

"I'm the best-looking thing in the town, let's just get this boat," I replied.

Alex knocked on the door. Shouting could be heard for a moment before footsteps journeyed to the old dingey orange door. An old man cracked open the door and squinted at Alex. I feared for a brief second that the man wouldn't recognize him. He had black curly hair and a long beard that had been unkempt since its origins. The man opened the door wider as a smile cut across his face.

"Alex! Now here's a man I haven't seen in a long time!" He shouted in a thick accent, "And you even brought a guest!" He said looking at me. "Well let's not keep you waiting come in, come in."

He extended the swing of the door by kicking back some trash on the floor. He held his arm out and showed us to the main room. His wife stood in the kitchen over the stove stirring a boiling pot. There was very little decor on the walls beside one large showy fish mounted above a window. There were two seats made of leather and wood around one small table. On it sat a candle that lit most of the room.

"My wife's making honey tea if you would like some," The man said.

"We won't be here very long, I just have a favor to ask," Replied Alexander.

"Ah, I guess I should have known you wouldn't just come to visit, what can our humble village provide to your majesty?"

"A means of transport across the lake. That rowboat out front would work splendidly," Alexander said with eagerness.

"Well that is my rescue boat in case someone got a leak, but I'll tell you what, there's a spare boat around four hundred paces to the left of the dock, it's all yours," Said the man.

"Thank you kindly, sir, that will do as well," Alex said as he headed for the door.

"In a rush are you?" Asked the man.