Chapter 11- A Newfound Burden

Elizabeth

"I knew it!" The prince said with a grin on his face.

"This isn't the time for that," I reply annoyed

To think, I'm a part of a prophecy. One that's meant to save a whole kingdom from collapsing. One that's meant to protect thousands of people was all on our shoulders. It had to be a mistake. I am just a girl who clumsily fell into a box. How does that lead to me being the savior of an entire kingdom?

" I can't do this!" I say as I begin to head back.

"You have to! Ever since I met you I knew there was something about you that was different," The prince says with a cheap smile

"Ever since you met me! We've known each other for three days! One of which you were dead! I don't even know your name!" I yell in a cross manner.

"It's Alexander but you can call me Alex," He says through a chuckle.

His calm and mocking answer began to boil my blood so I began to yell again

"Oh, I won't be calling you anything! If you think that me saving you was some sort of invitation then you're wrong. I'm not letting some psycho who faked his death, follow me during this already stressful situation."

I see the smile slowly fade from his face as he gains a more serious demeanor. I suddenly realized I must have said something really out of place.

"Do you even know why I faked my death?" He replies to which I shake my head.

"I spent countless years stuck in that castle forced to care about what clothes I wear and how to act properly. I never once went to a school with other children. The only friend I had was Alfred. Even when I did all these things and became what I was supposed to be, my parents never approved."

As he continued I felt my face turn red with the heavyweight of guilt. He looked so broken.

He continued "The pressure to be perfect began to take its toll as I slowly began to dissociate from real life. So, the night before the ball, in an attempt to redeem my mental health I asked my father if I could step down from my role as prince. I'd never seen a more disappointed face as he told me he wished I was dead. So I made his wish come true."

I felt a tear fall down my face as Alexander began to walk away.

"I...I had no idea," I stutter

He shrugs and grabs his horse's reins as he begins to walk away from me.

"You know. I could use some help. I'm supposed to save the world and I don't think I can do it by myself," I blurt out in an attempt to get him to stay.

"I think you're better off without me," He replies.

I feel an overwhelming amount of guilt as I mount my horse. Then all of a sudden I see Alexander speeding by on his horse.

"Beat ya there!" He quickly yells.

I quickly try to catch up in confusion and relief.

"I thought you said I was better off," I shout at him in disarray.

"Yeah, well you shouldn't believe everything you hear," He answers with a manipulative grin.

I laugh and roll my eyes realizing he had been messing with me. After a bit, I pull the map of the winter forest out of the pocket of my apron and begin to decide where to look first.

"This place looks sketchy," The prince says as he points to a town called Rushville on the map.

"Perfect," I reply with determination.