Secret

Jules

It was a pretty slow day for Gears and Steam. We didn't have any customers, but Theo was still at the counter downstairs. Freddie was reading a book at the table while I stared off into space in an armchair.

"Have you seen Edmund?" Freddie asked suddenly, looking at me.

"Not today, why? Do you usually see him much?"

"No...but it's raining outside. He likes to sit out in the rain; I'm always afraid that he'll get sick. He's also been a bit off since the last race. I'm worried." Freddie twisted one of the curls that fell beside her bangs in her hand. "He gets like this sometimes, all silent and closed off. We're never really sure what causes it though."

I winced. "I think it might be my fault." In the past two days, Edmund hadn't said much at all. That wasn't too unusual for him, but he was definitely avoiding me. It seemed like he was scared to talk to me. He was scared that I would figure something out. I almost wanted him to fire me; just to end this. If he fired me, it would end the guilt I was feeling.

Freddie narrowed her emerald green eyes at me. "What did you do?"

"Nothing!" I exclaimed. "Well, nothing on purpose. I hit a nerve that I didn't mean to. It was an accident, I swear."

"You better do you best to not do it again. He likes you, Jules. Don't screw it up," Freddie said sharply. "Make yourself useful and check if he's on the roof."

"Uh, how do I do that?"

"Go into his room, stick your head out the window, and yell." With that, Freddie turned back to her book.

Edmund's door was closed. I knocked before I pushed it open, just in case he was in there. There was no answer and the room seemed to be empty. His window was obviously opened often; there was nearly no resistance when I slid it open.

Rain was falling steadily against the ground below. It was freezing out there. I really hoped Edmund hadn't subjected himself to that. He would certainly get sick again. Still, if he wanted to be alone badly enough, the roof would be the best place for him.

"Edmund!" I yelled up into the darkened sky.

"Go away," Edmund screamed back a few seconds later.

"Edmund, you're going to get sick again."

"I don't care. Leave me alone."

I groaned. "It's really hard to have this argument when all we're doing is yelling back and forth! Can I come up?"

"That is the exact opposite of what I want you to do!"

I looked around for the rope Edmund used to climb. It was next to the window, swinging in the wind. I grabbed the rope with shaking hands and hauled myself out of the window. This wasn't a good idea. If I didn't slip and fall, Edmund would surely push me off the roof.

The mechanic was sitting with his knees pressed against his chest and his hair plastered to his face. He glared at me as soon as I poked my head over the edge off the roof. The flat part above his window was just big enough for two people to fit. I pulled myself up next to him, already shivering from the cold.

"I told you to leave me alone," Edmund snapped. "I don't want to talk to you."

"I know, I know. You're afraid of giving me any more information. You don't have to talk. Just come inside and let me keep you company."

Edmund's face softened slightly. "I'm not going back inside. People try to talk to me inside."

"But I'm talking to you out here anyway."