Victory

Jules

We won," Charlie said, dumbfounded as he jumped out of the car. "How on earth did we win!?"

I didn't know the answer to that, but the announcer called out Gears and Steam when the two cars crossed the finish line neck and neck. Apparently, Charlie finished a hair ahead of Luther, giving us the win. I couldn't believe it, neither could the rest of the team.

Theo, who was leaning on Freddie's shoulder for support, opened and closed his mouth a few times before something actually came out. "You're one freaking awesome racer, Charlie."

Charlie gave a mock bow. "Why thank you."

"Really, Charlie, you're great," Edmund said quietly. He had been nearly silent since Freddie had caught us kissing. The whole situation had been uncomfortable, but Freddie hadn't pushed Edmund away, which was good. I had my arm wrapped around his waist, trying to comfort him.

"Thanks, but I should probably make my escape before Luther kills me," Charlie chuckled, looking around nervously.

As if on cue, Luther stormed over to us and grabbed Charlie by the front of his shirt. Floyd was close behind, but he didn't seem to care as much about Charlie. I'm sure he would have advanced on Edmund if I were not there.

"Back with the betrayer, eh?" Floyd snarled. "You'll be back, you'll always come back."

"Doubtful," Edmund said through gritted teeth. He gripped my hand tightly. "I'm done being controlled."

"Julian played you just as much as I did, at least I actually loved you."

Edmund let our a bitter laugh. "You loved having me. There's a big difference between your 'love' and his. It took awhile for me to understand that."

"His love is no more real than mine," Floyd scoffed. "After all, how could anyone truly love you? Yeah, I love having you, I love the fact that you're mine, but it's impossible to love you."

"Floyd!" Luther yelled. "Not the point here!"

Floyd just shook his head and turned back to Luther. "What're we gonna do with Charlie?"

Freddie, Amishi, and Akiko stepped between Charlie and members of Raven Key, leaving Theo to lean against the car.

"Buzz off," Freddie snarled. "You lost fair and square, deal with it."

Luther scowled. "You need a group of girls to protect you, Charlie?"

Charlie shrugged. "I dunno, I hear Amishi can throw a pretty mean punch."

Amishi pounded her fist against the palm of her other hand to demonstrate a point. Edmund said she broke a kid's nose when they were kids, she was probably even more capable now. I had a feeling that she could hold her own in a fight.

"We've done nothing wrong," Akiko said. "You're the ones that cheated."

Floyd took a threatening step towards Charlie, but the girls blocked his path. "You took one of our teammates."

"You took one of ours," Freddie responded, glancing at Edmund.

"He came to us," Floyd protested.

"So did Charlie!" Akiko exclaimed.

"It was my choice," Charlie agreed. "And I don't care what you think of me, I never have. However, I would prefer it if you don't pummel me. You have no right to hurt me."

"You betrayed your team!" Luther yelled.

"A team that I had no loyalty to in the first place," Charlie reminded them. "I owe you two nothing. There are plenty of other teams that would take me, you guys just happened to be the most desperate. Kismet will probably take me, maybe I'll go to them."