I Can't Trust You

Jules

I couldn't stay away. I was too curious not to go see the outcome of the finals. Also, as much as I hated to admit it, I couldn't resist checking on Edmund. I still loved him, after all. I needed to make sure he was at least okay. I knew he wouldn't be happy, but at least I could see that he was still, you know, alive.

Even though I wanted to see Edmund, I purposely avoided looking for him. I somehow managed to avoid finding him for the entire race, even though I was sure we were both on the track level of the arena. I didn't want to see him with Floyd. Even though I had inadvertently driven him away, it still drove me to levels of insane jealousy to see them together. It made it even worse to see that Edmund was so miserable. He had been happy with me, but I had ruined that.

I had witnessed Gears and Steam's car blow up. I wanted to go see if Theo was okay, but he would most likely kill me, injured or not. Either that or Freddie would kill me. Amishi was here too, and I seemed to be on her hit list. Akiko had already literally spit in my face. I deserved all of it.

When I did find Edmund, I didn't expect him to be curled up in a ball with blood pouring down his face and Luther looming over him. Floyd, the person who supposedly loved Edmund, was just standing idly by with an annoyed look on his face.

I hadn't planned on intervening in anything to do with Edmund's life, but Luther looked like he was going to hit him again. On pure instinct, I stopped Luther's fist from coming down on Edmund. Luther might have been bigger than me, but I had formal training. It was Floyd looked alarmed. "What are you doing here?"

"Protecting someone I care about," I growled, pushing Luther away. The leader of Raven Key stumbled backwards. "Stronger than I look, aren't I? Run before I use my strength in an attack." I was aware that I still had bruises on my face from when Theo punched me, but those probably made me look more intimidating.

"Fine," Floyd said calmly. "Only because I don't face having another bruised nose. Come on, Edmund."

I turned my attention back to Edmund, who was still in tears on the ground. I wanted nothing more than to pick him up and comfort him. I wanted to wipe away the blood and tears and hug him until he smiled again. I couldn't make him smile though. He hated me.

"Edmund," Floyd repeated when Edmund didn't get up. "Come on."

Edmund still didn't get up. "Here to complete your mission?" His voice was barely above a whisper, but he sounded bitter.

I knelt down in front of him, very aware that I should just be going away. "No, I quit, actually. I'm here because I wanted to make sure you were okay," I said softly. "I was going to stay away, I know you want nothing to do with me, but then you got hurt. I still care about you."

"I find it hard to believe that you ever cared about me."

I sighed. "I know, and that's all my fault."

"Edmund," Floyd snapped. "Let's go."

Edmund glared at Floyd. "Go away." His voice was still weak, but it was definite.

Floyd's eyes widened in surprise. "You're going to regret that, freak!" he spat.

"Go. Away," Edmund repeated, more forcefully this time. He sat up and hugged his knees to his chest. There was still blood pouring down his face, which hat gone pale as a ghost.

Floyd opened his mouth to respond, but Luther dragged him away. Luther didn't think Edmund and I were worth the fight. Floyd would do anything to keep Edmund with him, but I think he had made a mistake in not protecting him from Luther.